diy solar

diy solar

Bus bar pictures

fatjay

I'm looking for visual inspiration of some bus bar designs. I'm looking for 4-6 15kwh battery connections @100a each, with 4x 3k inverters. I'm building one battery/inverter now, but will be looking to scale that out in the future, so i want that capability. If anyone has a picture of what they did and what it looks like, it would be really appreciated.

Here are a few of the ones I have made. The width ranges from 1.25 to 3.5 inches.

Attachments

• P3240455.JPG
    P3240455.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 15
  • P3240454.JPG
    P3240454.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 15
  • P3240453.JPG
    P3240453.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 16
  • P3240452.JPG
    P3240452.JPG
    359.7 KB · Views: 16
  • P3240451.JPG
    P3240451.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 18
  • P3240450.JPG
    P3240450.JPG
    355.2 KB · Views: 15
  • P3240449.JPG
    P3240449.JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 16
I bet if you go to a scrap yard you can buy some cheap used buss for about 4 bucks a pound.

Plain copper is worth more than plated so don;t let them screw you.
If its black no issues just clean it with some scotch bright.

If there is a panel shop in your area ( thats shop that build large motor starters MCCs switch gear.... ) they probably have a drum of scrap copper.
You might get lucky and they might cell you some scraps.
Also ask if they have any scrap copper bolts nuts hardware...
Look up the prices at the scrap yard offer them a premium, also bring doughnuts.
Electricians LOVE doughnuts...

This pile of electric scrap is what you might come across at the scrap yard.
No copper here to salvage but those brown boards are a low grade Phenolic boards.
Its good to make insulators to mount things on instead of wood.
That's a very old 5kv switch.
A newer one will have red fiberglass boards also very useful and probably better to use.

You can see the pads are relatively shiny on the brass of the switch pads.
This would indicate there was a buss bar instead of lugs.
Look around for the buss bar it can't be far but remember its worth more than the red brass parts

1711317293358.jpeg

Red brass might look like copper but its not.
Its usually an alloy of manganese bronze.
its very hard but easy to cast and machine, copper is not...

Last edited:
You guys like buss bar but this is a modern 400 amp splitter and its got some nice mechanical lugs in it with insulators you could repurposed for your battery banks

1711318165067.jpeg

An old one would have three copper buss bars in it.
Its not very common to see new buss work like that but its still being made and old stiff is still being scrapped

I searched ebay for "copper flat bar", bought enough to make my battery connections.
bussbarsinstalled copy.jpg

I can't zoom in any closer.
This is an old Amalgamated electric switch.
If you look close all the parts are mounted on that grey cast plastic.
Thats actually phenolic...

This is important read and process!!!!

Back in the day they would make a paste of phenol formaldehyde and white asbestos and press this in a mold and bake.
That's how those parts are made, colours can range from black to grey or brown.
If you look close you might even see the asbestos in there.

Its relatively safe to handle but you cant cut grind or work it with tools or you will make that asbestos airborne again.

Jesus thats an old switch...
Made in Toronto sometime in the 40s to the 60s...

1711318524774.jpeg

I'm going to take some pictures of the kinds of electrical equipment you might find in the scrap yard to help identify things you don;t want to touch.....

It might have useful copper and parts but if its full of asbestos and lead paint leave it alone.
More photos to come.

Last edited:
You might see this in the scrap yard.
Those are copper buss bars in an old Westinghouse panel board.
The bus is rated at 1200 amp and all those holes are drilled and may even be tapped for 1/4 20 bolts.
If you find the bolts with it those are self tapping and will thread the holes in the bus for you.
Well worth stripping, it even has insulators behind the bus bar that are very handy...

1711321546404.jpeg
I found that on a surplus website, its old as the hills.
Westinghouse doesn't even make electrical equipment anymore.
Seller wants 3000 dollars for this, someone might even pay that if they need it right now to repair a damaged one or even put new breakers and details in because its still useful.
But if you see it in a scrap yard its scrap!
Pennies on the pound for mixed metals.

Back