diy solar

diy solar

What is the MT50 used for?

math55

When looking at solar setups on Youtube for example, people always have the MT50 almost next to the Mppt ... what I understood is that the MT50 is some sort of a remote control for the Mppt? Is it really just that, or why do people almost always have the MT50 next to the Mppt?

Thanks for helping me out here :)!

It's a remote display and control unit that plugs into Epever MPPT controllers. If you need to program user charge perameter values that differ from the built in values , the MT 50 is needed.

Other controllers have differing techniques to program user values. Victron for example use a phone app that connects via Bluetooth

The MT50 is physically connected to the MPPT by an Ethernet cable. I’ve used up to a 25 ft long one without issue but it ships with a short one which is probably why most folks keep it close by.

I have a couple of their MPPTs that it works with so I use just the one MT50 to program them and then put it away.

If you get the wifi or Bluetooth dongle, you don't need the MT 50 as you can make your changes with the epever phone app.

Back