diy solar

diy solar

What separate unit 250V+ Charge Controllers are available?

Maast

Compulsive Tinkerer
The other thread just got me thinking about what other single unit 250V+ voltage charge controllers are available. The only ones I know of are the Victron 250s, the Midnite 250s and the Outback 300s. All of which are really expensive.

I've got three of the 'crippled' Midnite 250s that I got for about $300 each on Ebay but the supply of those has evaporated like frost in the desert sun. I'm thinking I'd like to have a relatively inexpensive backup or three on hand in case I ever lose one and I need a temp until I can shell out the big bucks for another Midnite SL SCC.

I poked through Alibaba and Aliexpress but didnt have much luck - their search function is terrible. (WHY can they not do a bolean search??!)

Anybody else know of any?

It's true. It can be costly but the main reason from my point of view as an installer is there is a point where a charge controller no longer is ideal and the PV inverters are more applicable. Having a 450V-600V high-current DC-DC to ~48V and back again to 240V via the inverter simply doesn't make sense in many cases. PV inverters generally have between 600V-1000V PV inputs and are load-direct to 240V AC. Anything not consumed by the loads goes through the battery inverter into the batteries. Modern battery inverters are bi-directional by design so it makes more sense to exploit that and use a PV inverter. In many cases the overall installation is cheaper.

Back