diy solar

diy solar

What to do with 45w panel?

RoadTurtle

Solar Enthusiast
I pulled the 45w panel off the roof of my new 5th wheel, and added 100w + 200w to the 170w that was already installed on the roof. At a minimum I needed to move it, but if I upgrade any further, it will require a new controller and probably wiring too, so just took it off the roof.

So what do I do with this lonely panel? Not going to carry it as a spare, already overloaded with junk in the 5th wheel

See if a local school's science department would appreciate it as a donation.

Do you have an outbuilding or shed without power? Maybe some DC lighting for a shed.

I reused a small PV on the RV roof to directly run two 12v computer cooling fans in the exterior fridge compartment during those hot days. Ran the wire right down the roof vent.
Keeps the air circulating across the coils and that made a big improvement on the fridges performance. No sun in the evening so its off at night when it's cooler and less needed. Back on at first day light.
No need for a CC or battery.:cool:

I reused a small PV on the RV roof to directly run two 12v computer cooling fans in the exterior fridge compartment during those hot days. Ran the wire right down the roof vent.
Keeps the air circulating across the coils and that made a big improvement on the fridges performance. No sun in the evening so its off at night when it's cooler and less needed. Back on at first day light.
No need for a CC or battery.:cool:
interesting idea, but the whole point of pulling it off the roof was to clear space for the 100w panel :) In my old TT, I had a single computer fan inside the fridge wired into the hot side of the light switch, really helped it out. I need to get up on the roof to look at something else, I'll look to see if there's room to sneak that panel next to the cap for the fridge.

School donation is a most excellent idea.

I pulled the 45w panel off the roof of my new 5th wheel, and added 100w + 200w to the 170w that was already installed on the roof. At a minimum I needed to move it, but if I upgrade any further, it will require a new controller and probably wiring too, so just took it off the roof.

So what do I do with this lonely panel? Not going to carry it as a spare, already overloaded with junk in the 5th wheel
You are mixing a lot of panels there. How are they producing? Are they all the same voltage? Same amps? Hooked up parallel / series?
100+200+170?

You are mixing a lot of panels there. How are they producing? Are they all the same voltage? Same amps? Hooked up parallel / series?
100+200+170?
It's a long story of how I ended up here. very slight mismatch in voltage. They are hooked in parallel, which if I understand correctly, means they all default to the lowest voltage with subsequent reduction in watts too. IF I find this is insufficient, then I will have to reevaluate my configuration.

Back