diy solar

diy solar

What's the correct way to go from an inverter to AC wiring?

ADDvanced

I have a small 8x16' shed, I've wired 120v AC outlets around inside the shed. I have a 1200watt victron inverter. The wiring for the outlets all terminates near the inverter, but the inverter has a female AC plug on it. What's the correct way to from an AC plug to multiple romex wires?

I have a small 8x16' shed, I've wired 120v AC outlets around inside the shed. I have a 1200watt victron inverter. The wiring for the outlets all terminates near the inverter, but the inverter has a female AC plug on it. What's the correct way to from an AC plug to multiple romex wires?
Do you have some type of breaker box? Or do you want to directly connect to the ac wiring? If directly connecting, you could just cut off the end of the cable and use some WAGO nuts on it after you strip it. These are good up to 12awg. They have 10awg ones as well depending on what size romex you got. I wouldn't say this is the "correct way to do it" though, you probably have to have a breaker box of some sort to be correct.

Assuming it's a small inverter due to having a built in plug, something like this would be good / safe.

Run female cord from inverter to panel then romex from panel to receptacles.

^ that was my plan, but like... on a finished wall, how would the cable with that commercial plug, go into the junction box? Every junction box I find has openings on the side; but the junction box will be buried in the wall itself. So like.... how do you go from a wire, into a wall to get to the j-box?

Just poke a hole in the wall to route the cable through. If you want it to look more "Pro" you can throw it in surface conduit between the inverter and the hole.

Just remember to install a jumper wire between L1 and L2 lugs or it will only feed half the breakers.

Don't bury the box. Have it recessed with a cover plate. Similar to a wall outlet. Get a cover plate with a hole. Use a strain relief.

Back