diy solar

diy solar

Where do you guys have your active balancer mounted?

Bleedingblue

Solar Enthusiast
Not sure where to mount these at. My packs are 3 wide and I have a strip of wood across the top with the bms mounted on em.
Do these balancers get hot? Or potentially catch fire? Sage to put a piece of rubber on top of bms and then balancer on top of that?
Or just run extra long wires to the balancer and mount on wall?

How do you have yours mounted?

Active balancers are fairly efficient and don't waste much energy as heat. They are not common fire hazards like Li NMC cells but any electronic device can fail and develop a hot spot until the bad component finally melts away and the current path opens.

If the active balancer has a metal case such as the JK BMS Bluetooth product, its reasonably safe even when mounted to wood.

Active balancers are fairly efficient and don't waste much energy as heat. They are not common fire hazards like Li NMC cells but any electronic device can fail and develop a hot spot until the bad component finally melts away and the current path opens.

If the active balancer has a metal case such as the JK BMS Bluetooth product, its reasonably safe even when mounted to wood.
Good thing . I was thinking about mounting them to the outside of my wooden frame.

20221121_105256.jpg

Is that MDF under the cells? Hopefully you have some stringers under the center, MDF can sag over time, plywood might have been better idea.

Please post some more photos of the rack from other angles when you have time. I really like the design.
No sagging in the center?

No sagging in the center. I have 8 rods providing clamping. 2 rods in between each row. Just barley tight though. It's basically 4 legs with a rectangle and a sheet of 3/4 MDF on it screwed down. Those boards are about as hard as red oak. Not sure what they are made of. Didn't come from lowes or home depot lol.

Back