diy solar

diy solar

Where to begin! For my Epic Adventure!

Nice idea alternating charging days between cars and basically taking advantage of the car batteries for the storage instead of buying batteries.
Realistically, this, or only charging the one EV during the day and using it during off solar hours is the only way to do this fairly cheaply. Purchasing batteries the size required to significantly charge one of these EV's, plus the supporting equipment to handle/control those large batteries, would be MUCH more expensive!!!

Realistically, this, or only charging the one EV during the day and using it during off solar hours is the only way to do this fairly cheaply. Purchasing batteries the size required to significantly charge one of these EV's, plus the supporting equipment to handle/control those large batteries, would be MUCH more expensive!!!
I think you can get batteries more solar and inverters cheaper them a second car if you only need one and at the mileage they are driving.

Which is why I am aiming to do an OFF GRID SOLAR array.

Why again are you doing this off-grid?

If you use PV panels and possibly an inverter to charge Tesla, it makes sense.
But if you use them to charge a battery during the day, and use battery to charge Tesla at night, problem is batteries cost more than just buying power from the grid.

If you have grid power, install a zero-export PV system. PV panels power whatever household loads during the day, including Tesla charger if plugged in. Any needed charging at night comes from grid.
If you get a batteries-optional grid-tie inverter that uses CT for zero export, it can also provide charging during the day when grid is down.

Photovoltaic panels good.
Batteries bad.

Why again are you doing this off-grid?

If you use PV panels and possibly an inverter to charge Tesla, it makes sense.
But if you use them to charge a battery during the day, and use battery to charge Tesla at night, problem is batteries cost more than just buying power from the grid.

If you have grid power, install a zero-export PV system. PV panels power whatever household loads during the day, including Tesla charger if plugged in. Any needed charging at night comes from grid.
If you get a batteries-optional grid-tie inverter that uses CT for zero export, it can also provide charging during the day when grid is down.

Photovoltaic panels good.
Batteries bad.
Unfortunately, I am going off-grid since my LandLord will not budge on allowing me to connect a sollar array to the grid. I have tried to convince him but he will not budge. However, he did allow me to build an off-grid system.

I think you can get batteries more solar and inverters cheaper them a second car if you only need one and at the mileage they are driving.
You are correct- I made some updates to the original post if you can kindly check it out I would really appreciate your feedback and wisdom.

What's wrong with this picture.. Purchasing ~$200,000 worth of vehicles and thinking a $2500 investment can make a dent in keeping them charged? I guess I better search around and find Will's Tesla setup

Will has a few videos on charging his teslas with solar, be sure to watch those.

He doesn’t drive a lot with his cars though.

How much do you drive? To charge 75kWh in a days solar is going to take a LOT of panels.

Figure 40 400W panels… and of course, most want to charge overnight, so, you will need a bank, LARGER than the vehicle bank… it can get quite costly.
made some updates to the post tell me what you think :))))

UPDATE! 05/05/2022

Okay! I made some changes and I would like some input please and thank you. I got a lot of flack for my original post (again this is all new to me and I really didn't understand the cost). Here is my mission and what I would like to do- I will receive my Tesla Model Y between July and August of 2022- and I want to build a solar array without battery storage (if possible). I know what you might be thinking but before you jump to a conclusion hear me out. What I intend to do is dollar-cost average Lithium batteries over an extended period of time. In essence, I intend on using the Tesla as battery storage- Furthermore, I might possibly be adding another EV to my fleet and typically no 2 vehicles will be driven at any given time. Thus, the vehicles will have constant storage capability based on my calculations/ driving habits-

If for whatever reason I intend on not getting a second EV or perhaps it falls through, I will continue on purchasing Lithium batteries on a dollar-cost average strategy.

Here are the meat and potatoes of what I need guidance on- What is needed for me to transfer from Solar to Tesla? Can you direct me on what will be required to make it work without using battery storage (a dummies guide)?

Second Question- Since I will be saving on battery storage costs, I would like to maximize output energy on the solar array. How many solar panels do you recommend for me to generate approximately 15-20 kWh per day and what wattage (my dream goal is 30kWh)? The location in which I am building will have direct sunlight from dawn to dusk. Before you kick my butt on this question (meaning if it is extreme or illogical to accomplish please educate me).

The panels will be placed 3-5 inches above gravel, temperatures under may be higher than usual (just an FYI or if it might be helpful)

I decided to do without a trailer and just build a small DIY cheap structure to hold the panels evenly and safely

The new budget for the project- $3200

AGAIN thank you.

The following is the original post unedited (thank you for your patients and kindess)

First I would like to start by saying thank you to the community and to those who help. Let us begin

I have a Tesla Model Y arriving between July and August of 2022. I currently am renting and my landlord is not entertaining the idea of Solar nor does he want to help in trying to combat the electricity hikes out here in California. As a conservative electricity user, my last month's bill was $400 for an 1100 sq foot home. I live out in San Diego and that has become a very common charge in this city... It is just truly expensive (period).

My dreams and ambitions did not want to be crushed, current gas prices are not getting better by any means and I am sure everyone reading this can relate. So I took it upon myself to dive deep into the world of solar and came across this thread/channel.

I want to build an off-the-grid solar array that can fully charge my tesla efficiently which consists of 75 kWh. This idea seems very ambitious due to the fact that my experience in all of this is close to zero. I seek guidance from anyone who is willing to give me their two cents and advice. I also have a Rivian that is expected to be arriving sometime in 2023 Which I also would like to be able to charge via the Solar array. Although, I do not need them to be charging at the same time (I am on a budget).

During the summertime, temperatures can reach an excess of 100 plus degrees, So I plan on building some sort of portable structure that can house everything that is required to run this project, having said that, I would also like the solar array to produce enough energy to cool the housing unit if need be.

What I have to work with:
On the side of the house, I have a large piece of flat land that does not get shaded throughout the day.
My budget is approximately $2500 I can add to that amount given more time. I prefer quality/ longevity.

In Addition, I do plan on taking this with me when I move.

Where do I begin? What do you recommend? Is it realistic to be asked to produce enough energy to charge a Telsa? If not, what is?

Again thank you to anyone who can help direct me.
Well, to get 30kWh in an average sunny day is 5000W of panels. Without batteries, I don’t quite understand how you will charge the car. There is a charger interphase in the car, so it requires AC voltage to charge, so the solar needs to be outputting the AC at the charging rate needed.
I’m not aware of a way to directly input the solar DC voltage into the car, and inverters coupled to the panel output require a grid tied interphase to operate.

Well, to get 30kWh in an average sunny day is 5000W of panels. Without batteries, I don’t quite understand how you will charge the car. There is a charger interphase in the car, so it requires AC voltage to charge, so the solar needs to be outputting the AC at the charging rate needed.
I’m not aware of a way to directly input the solar DC voltage into the car, and inverters coupled to the panel output require a grid tied interphase to operate.
Is it possible to go from solar to an inverter to a singular battery from that singular battery to the tesla (so that we can use an AC voltage charge) ?

UPDATE! 05/05/2022

In essence, I intend on using the Tesla as battery storage- Furthermore, I might possibly be adding another EV to my fleet and typically no 2 vehicles will be driven at any given time. Thus, the vehicles will have constant storage capability based on my calculations/ driving habits-

Here are the meat and potatoes of what I need guidance on- What is needed for me to transfer from Solar to Tesla? Can you direct me on what will be required to make it work without using battery storage (a dummies guide)?

Two approaches, first is simpler but requires excess PV that isn't utilized. The second I don't know what control device to buy but maybe it exists.

1) Get a batteryless or batteries-optional inverter and connect panels to it.

For instance, the grid-tied PV inverter Sunny Boy Storage has a "Secure Power" feature which will output 120V up to 2000W during times when the grid is down. Just hook panels to that and plug in your level 1 charger. You need enough panels to deliver the 1800W or whatever Tesla wants, for the whole day. I suggest array have two orientations to catch morning & afternoon sun, leveling production somewhat.

For faster charging get a larger inverter, e.g. 240V MPP or others that is batteries optional. Hook panels to inverter and use your level 2 charger.

2) Get whatever DC charger (Chademo?) Tesla works with. Feed it from PV array. The part I don't know details of is how Tesla is told to take just the power available from DC at the moment, so all available power is used and panels are kept at maximum operating point.

Two approaches, first is simpler but requires excess PV that isn't utilized. The second I don't know what control device to buy but maybe it exists.

For instance, the grid-tied PV inverter Sunny Boy Storage has a "Secure Power" feature which will output 120V up to 2000W during times when the grid is down. Just hook panels to that and plug in your level 1 charger. You need enough panels to deliver the 1800W or whatever Tesla wants, for the whole day. I suggest array have two orientations to catch morning & afternoon sun, leveling production somewhat.

For faster charging get a larger inverter, e.g. 240V MPP or others that is batteries optional. Hook panels to inverter and use your level 2 charger.

2) Get whatever DC charger (Chademo?) Tesla works with. Feed it from PV array. The part I don't know details of is how Tesla is told to take just the power available from DC at the moment, so all available power is used and panels are kept at maximum operating point.
I need time to break down what you said and I will get back to you with questions Thank you

Unfortunately, I am going off-grid since my LandLord will not budge on allowing me to connect a sollar array to the grid. I have tried to convince him but he will not budge. However, he did allow me to build an off-grid system.
You want to look into the laws surounding upgrades you make to someone else's property you are renting. Often if you add something, example a wall attached window blind or anything else (pseudo permanently) attached, you were required to leave them when you leave. Leaving a lot of solar equipment might be a costly endeavor. Besides if you can afford 2 Tesla's, renting seems lake a huge waste of money..

You want to look into the laws surounding upgrades you make to someone else's property you are renting. Often if you add something, example a wall attached window blind or anything else (pseudo permanently) attached, you were required to leave them when you leave. Leaving a lot of solar equipment might be a costly endeavor. Besides if you can afford 2 Tesla's, renting seems lake a huge waste of money..
Many assume just because I can afford a Tesla I can afford everything I want. The way I budget is different than others which is why I have set budgets/ goals I wish to accomplish over a set period of time.

The project will not be attached to anything. Very literally it will be laying on the floor on a platform that I will build. it is not occupying living space nor is it going to intrude on anyone. What I build will be leaving with me when I decide to leave this rental property.

You really should find out in advance what happens with the solar equipment you install. Unless you install it in and on a trailer you may have a lot of trouble coming your way if you try to remove it from the rented property. You want to know that beforehand. Laws are laws and if you find yourself learning the hard way its not fun.

You really should find out in advance what happens with the solar equipment you install. Unless you install it in and on a trailer you may have a lot of trouble coming your way if you try to remove it from the rented property. You want to know that beforehand. Laws are laws and if you find yourself learning the hard way its not fun
I suppose your right, it doesn't hurt to look into it. Assume there is a law that is not in my favor and the landlord agrees to let me take it. Would that veto the law?

I suppose your right, it doesn't hurt to look into it. Assume there is a law that is not in my favor and the landlord agrees to let me take it. Would that veto the law?
No idea, and it may not be a thing where you are, but it was one of the things I found when I was thinking about renting out a house we had just moved out of and were thinking of becoming a land baron ;), I would get his agreement in writing. I am not a lawyer but my guess is that would be all you would need to keep the equipment. -Bill

Can you define PV? Thank you.

Back