diy solar

diy solar

Where to find a consultant to help with my DIY system?

Tony S

I understand I'll have to meet code and once I figure out my layout for my planned system, I can get a permit and more advice from our township and Hydro.

So far, I tried calling a local solar supplier. They were very nice. They could not help with everything. They would make sure the products I plan to use will work together - even if I don't buy everything from them. (That's nice of them.)
However, they couldn't help with how to wire up everything, what size wire I'll need for each run, or what all I would need with how and where I plan to install all the components.

My system is going to need more planning and prep work than most.
Long before I will be buying and/or installing anything:
I need to dig 2 trenches in opposite directions, from my shipping container, and make sure I bury the correct size and enough conduit large enough to handle the wiring needed. This part has me baffled...

I plan to buy / use a Sol Ark 15k for an All-In-One system for our entire house and future garage build. (I hope to contact Sol Ark this coming week to see what help they can provided. I might even contact Hydro to see if they can provide any help.)
As I've stated before, in other post, all solar components will be centrally located between the 2 buildings with long runs in both directions.

I have no clue if I can leave the electrical meter where it is and still connect to it to run the entire house. Or what size wire, cut-offs and whatnot is needed to complete the system I want.... I want to be sure I don't leave anything out for when I can start digging and lay conduit.

Thank you,

OPG (Ontario Hydro Power Generation) will be of no help to you... It's that last part that is still owned & operated by the Provincial Gov.
Hydro-One (Power delivery network) is privatized and they generally don't help anyone but themselves although they will dictate rules/regs etc to anything connected to the grid as they have to carry it. I can tell you that Hydro One has become quite a creature in it's own right.

Townships ? don't have high expectations, it's not their bailiwick. Building Permits etc fall into their purview but not any solar installs - BUT if you are in a town itself etc they may chime in most inconveniently of course. The GOTCHA of course, is if you are planning to put solar on a building where permits are required.

IF you plan on putting solar on the roofs of the two buildings you mention, then consider that a 45 Degree Roof for us is pretty much what you need for Good Average Solar for the year, that is a 12:12 Pitch Roof ! and even that will not shed snow as easily as we'd like, especially the heavy wet sticky stuff. If you have existing structures it's not likely they have 12:12 roofs but if building new, then you can do that with the design. Also consider the orientation as the production roof should be facing either direct South or East/West exposure allowing for a Morning Side & Afternoon Side (can effectively run 2 arrays that way).

FYI: New Ontario Electrical Code came into play effective May of 2022. I very strongly urge you to pick up the latest "Electrical Code Simplified" book from HomeDepot or Home Hardware etc which is around $25 or so to get the latest change info. There are other similar new publications but none really cover solar in any detail (A major ommission IMO), there are some publications directly addressing Ontario & Canadian guidelines for it but they are more technical aimed at tradesmen and as such far from cheap !

!*!: Algonquin College was running some courses on Solar Installations a couple of years ago, it may be prudent to see if there are any courses you could take from your local community college. May be a good option.

Always adhere to RULE #1 !
Do NOT buy a damned thing till you have a Vetted Plan worked out including all the "extras" that everyone loves to ignore till they are knee-deep into a build/assembly. There is no such thing as a One OF Sale, there are always sales & deals so don't bite that apple ! leave it for the deer.

What you are considering is nothing outrageous or crazy and quite doable with proper planning and consideration. The GOTHA LURKING is that whatever you plan for today based on any estimates/projection you may have "will change" tomorrow as time moves along. The A-Typical average is that people will go through at least 3 "Upgrades" post-installation because they either underestimated their needs, bought the wrong equipment or got locked into a fixed system (worst case to deal with). Whatever you plan on, the first thing to put up front is that it needs to be flexible & expandable while remaining within the family of products you've chosen. So many end up scraping equipment because it won't allow for expansion or is not flexible to meet demands as needed and that is very costly.

Ideally, having ground-mounted adjustable racks serve best because they can be repositioned for more ideal production through the seasons. This will also allow you to go out and clear an array when covered in deep wet sticky snow (like today, here for example, we got hit hard and I had to clear 20cm off the rack...) BTW My rack is at 45 Deg.

Options:
- Grid Service to home to serve as needed, can be used as a backup Battery Charging Source, while solar/battery power generation is used for critical/essential circuits. NO FIT Connection.
- Connect to Grid for FIT to get pennies from OPG while having to comply with their myriad of rules, regs and fees.... BUT this also can give you access to rebates etc... Often Times the rebates & credits are "just enough" to cover the extra costs to be Grid Connected. Typically with inspections etc it adds 25% ON TOP of the equipment & labour costs (if pro installed).

What sized wires to run from array to Charge Controller ?
What sized Conduit for underground ?
- none of that can be figured till later. Running DC any distance comes with losses and can get quite crazy with wire sizes depending on Voltage & Amperage + Distance of run.

SolArk 15,000 W sounds large but isn't.
15,000W ÷ 240V = 240V/62.5A *uncorrected **With PV + Battery
*NB: Continuous AC Power from Batteries 12000W 50A-L (240V)
Fortunately, they can be setup in Parallel to increase amperage to house NB: When allocating space, be sure to allow extra space for Future Expansion ie adding another SolArk or two even. Accept the fact that it will take 4 Units to provide for a Split Phase 200A Service Panel.

A word on Wire Trenches as applied to us in Ontario.
Minimum of 3' deep, 4 is preferred.
A minimum of 6" of "sand" on the bottom, then conduit covered by another 6" of "sand" then a Pressure Treated Plank with Warning Tape on it covering it all and then buried with soil.

Ground Mounted Racks or independent racks must be grounded (rails & panel frames which are to be bonded to the rails) for lightning management. (This is not an electrical cirbuit power ground as such). Ground Rods/Plates can be used, must be a min of 3' from structure, if using a plate, then 3' deep below grade and wired with Green #4 or #6 (pending on system). Ground Rod/Plates to be installed as spec'd within the electrical code.

Sea Can / Shipping Container = Faraday Cage !
Be aware of that and deal with it accordingly. This can be a tricky thing depending on how you want to use it. Far too many just skip by this and end up with big issues and chasing their tails in circles.... One fellow I know, would not listen because he was an "expert" put it all together and ended up with 500VDC live across the steel container... he got Zapped but not killed and wisened up ! Extremely lucky !! and that was after his dog was electrocuted (rain, wet paws on soil & nose on steel can = zot!) Some will BOOHOO Carp all over this statement but they haven't had the experience nor seen it for themselves "yet".

External Consultants:
Something RARE indeed. There are a few people that can help to a point depending on your intentions. IF you are gonna be Grid Connected for FIT, there is a heap of extras to be taken into account and most will not want the liability of dealing with it. IF Off-Grid / Independent without Feed-In is somewhat simpler (less Gov BS & Hydro Corp Stuff to deal with). Getting an off-grid evaluation & help is easier but common sense must apply and it is always a good idea to have Electrical Inspections done as well (BTW: Most Insurance Co's will demand this for coverage). Electricians who do not deal with DC Systems get lost quickly, and finding someone who "knows" both AC & DC is still quite difficult and so more costly. BTDT ! A Good Thing in the Shadows: You are allowed to DIY a LOT here but required inspections are still needed, to that end you can find someone who is comfortable with experience to help you figure it all out and even help you design it in preparation for a proper review & plan. That could then be given to a proper electrician for vetting and later inspections as required.

Something you likely already discovered by now. Many vendors will be happy to supply you with whatever gear you want BUT they won't install anything. Others will supply & install everything but hit you on the costs ... often selling components at full MSRP (sometimes even more) and then lay a $150 per hour for labour on top and another pile for inspection & certifications, especially if it is a FIT install. There are some smaller Solar Companies that can do it all for reasonable prices and deliver a great install and there are others that should be dragged out and shot at the fence line. I've seen a couple of "Pro" installs that were pure Bodge Jobs ! that charged obscene $ to do it.

YOU WANT A CONSULTANT TO HELP ?
Ontario is a Huge Province !! Go edit your "Profile" and put YOUR location ! Nearest Town/City is good enough.
Don't expect anyone to travel a great distance to you, figure on anyone coming to help to be within 50km to a max of 100km from your location.

Lot of info, some off topic sorta, hope it helps, Good Luck.
Steve

Will this system be grid-tied?

YES - At first and maybe forever. Plus I want the option of any future house buyer to do as they see fit. FYI - Ontario will give us kW for kW.. Or so I was told when I called that division. (Example I was given, if we produce 1,000kW extra over the summer and need that amount during the cloudy winter months = its free to us. That way we don't need to invest into a lot of batteries right off and can grow into our needs as we learn them and our system.

I'm not grid tied, my own setup is time of use.
I run off battery from 7am to 7pm and then re-charge when the rates are cheap.
Eliminates some red tape.

I'm not grid tied, my own setup is time of use.
I run off battery from 7am to 7pm and then re-charge when the rates are cheap.
Eliminates some red tape.
Well the nice thing I've seen and read about the Sol Ark 15K is the fact that we will be able to do it all and anyone who might buy our place years a from now has options to fit their needs.

What I'm trying to wrap my head around now is the fact that the inverter is not going to be near the meter or house panel.
So I'm wondering if that means I'll need to run HD 2 gauge wire to the house and back to the inverter at a hefty cost, to be able to be on grid too.

EDIT - What I meant by do it all. We can be off-grid - with or without a generator. We can be on the grid with or without batteries and/or a generator. This will provide us more options to grow into the system we want.

Last edited:
Back