diy solar

diy solar

Which pipes for SandBattery (whole underground of my Winter Greenhouse)

Michelle Konzack

Good evening,

I need a technical advice to Heat Pipes.

I build a WinterGreenhouse with 21,5m x 7,2m but dig it 2,5-3m deeper out because I want to install 500m of pipes which contain a Water-Glycole mix and is heated trough a 9kW In-Flow Heater Using the Fronius Ohmpilot and a Fronius Symo 10kW with 18 Solarpanels 650Wp.

However, if I use the standard HDPE pipes 32x2,4mm PN8 for Ground-to-Water Heatpumps, I am probably limited to a temperatore of 50degC, because HDPE Pipes can not be used above 70degC and I suspect, is I have 2,5-3m Sand on top of it, with temperature above 50degC they can deform (become flat).

Which cost effective Pipes can you recomment to archive maybe a temperature of 70-80 degC?

Someone suggested me alread PEX-Al-PEX pipes, but the would be quiet expensive if I need 500m.

Any suggestions?

Thankyou
Michelle

P.S.: I will start the project in spring 2025.

Metal would appear to be best for conductivity, but of course expensive. You also need to know the insulating value of the pipe you choose.
/* PVC can handle temperatures up to 140°F (60°C). CPVC handles temperatures up to 210°F (99°C). */

The reality of it is that you pretty much have to use PEX which is designated for Radiant Heating and that is not a bad thing. It won't corrode or anything and "Radiant" grade is awfully tough compared to regular waterline. There are TWO Types of Glycol, I use (Non-Toxic) Cryo-tek Propylene glycol. As you are embedding the pipes into sand you won't have issues in general just ensure your turns/loops are gentle. PUMPS can be tricky, do NOT screw around, the GrundFos NON-Submersible Circulation Pumps are the way to go for zero issue pumps.

Hope it helps, Good Luck

The reality of it is that you pretty much have to use PEX which is designated for Radiant Heating and that is not a bad thing. It won't corrode or anything and "Radiant" grade is awfully tough compared to regular waterline. There are TWO Types of Glycol, I use (Non-Toxic) Cryo-tek Propylene glycol. As you are embedding the pipes into sand you won't have issues in general just ensure your turns/loops are gentle. PUMPS can be tricky, do NOT screw around, the GrundFos NON-Submersible Circulation Pumps are the way to go for zero issue pumps.

Hope it helps, Good Luck
I think, I will dig a 4m3 hole and make a prototype insert a Pipe if a One-Wire Temperature sensor all 10cm and see what happen.
As people sayed, there is a problem with sand and conductivity, hence it is not possible to put a Pipe on the bottom of a Sand-Heat-Storrage, heat it up and then put another Pipe on the Top and get the Heat out.

If I see this right, a single Pipe has to go trough the WHOLE Sandstock and I have to use it for "charging" and discharging.

Hence I will use 20mm PEX pipe of 30m lenght (If I can get this into the 4m3) a DIY In-flow Heater with 3x900W/24V (I live mainly with 24V DC and have cable wich support without any problem 300A continiuous and 2000A max).

Then I will see, what it give.

If it works, I can go next year to my 450m3 project under the GreenHouse

Back