diy solar

diy solar

White coating inside cable lug

Skaap

I bought cable lugs for connecting my lithium cells together (using cable instead of busbar), but i noticed on the inside of the lugs where the wire goes in, there is a white/cream color coating. I was curious what this is for (maybe to prevent corrosion) and whether it should be removed before crimping? Maybe its meant for soldering or something. Appreciate any help thanks. Also its not as thick on all the lugs as u will see in the photo

Attachments

• IMG_20230104_145756.jpg
    IMG_20230104_145756.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 15
Wondering if oxidisation as it does not appear regular. Do you know what the crimp lugs are made from? Not usual to solder crimps, so doubt if it is flux.

Wondering if oxidisation as it does not appear regular. Do you know what the crimp lugs are made from? Not usual to solder crimps, so doubt if it is flux.
Hi, they are tin coated copper from what im told. At first i thought it might be oxidisation, however they are very smooth and evenly coated and also only appear on the inside

What brand are they?
Unfortunately its a no name on the packaging, there is only the following written on it:"cat no:3d-2687". Searching this online gives various pdf files from various manufacturers, none mentioned the substance in question

Just a local variety shop, they don't know or won't tell me where they get it. They will refund me, maybe safer and faster to return them and buy better ones
Or get a wire plumbing fitting brush - or gun barrel brushes for smaller ones- and clean/polish it.

I’m guessing it is merely the plating solution’s equivalent of ‘flash’ in aluminum-zinc alloy casting. The plating solution has little circulation turbulence inside recessed areas.

Could merely be TnO from rough deposition in the plating process. I don’t think I’d be overly concerned.

I bought cable lugs for connecting my lithium cells together (using cable instead of busbar), but i noticed on the inside of the lugs where the wire goes in, there is a white/cream color coating. I was curious what this is for (maybe to prevent corrosion) and whether it should be removed before crimping? Maybe its meant for soldering or something. Appreciate any help thanks. Also its not as thick on all the lugs as u will see in the photo
I would just get one of my copper gun barrel brushes (of the appropriate size), chuck it up in my cordless drill and clean the inside of them. 2-3 seconds on each one and they will be ready to go. To make it easier you could line then up in your vise to hold them steady.

Or get a wire plumbing fitting brush - or gun barrel brushes for smaller ones- and clean/polish it.

I’m guessing it is merely the plating solution’s equivalent of ‘flash’ in aluminum-zinc alloy casting. The plating solution has little circulation turbulence inside recessed areas.

Could merely be TnO from rough deposition in the plating process. I don’t think I’d be overly concerned.
Yeah it isn't difficult to remove, scratches off with the nail, if i don't find any similar ones that are 'clean' on the inside, then i will just clean out the substance.

Back