diy solar

diy solar

Why are my solar panel MC4 connectors like this?!

2020 NEC 690.33(C)
...Where mating connectors are not of the identical type and brand, they shall be listed and identified for intermatability, as described in the manufacturer's instructions.

Fake compatibility has been causing fires. NEC has caught up. Best to use one brand right on through.

I actually ran across one of those connectors for the first time last night, digging through my, at this point, massive piles of cracked/broken panels I have accepted since I am a hoarder. :rolleyes:

Same thought: WHY THE HELL THEY DO DIS

Also had same thought as to the solution. Use some of my little flush cutters and cut those bits off. I could crimp on another MC4 but that seems like more work.
Yes - if you check some of my other posts, installing panels to a Bluetti EP500pro I ran into similar issue. This is not on someone's house (not needing to be inspected etc). But I do want it safe. Maybe cover with electrical wire?

I'm thinking of cutting parts to fabricate a quick release like this guy:

My neighbor decided to just buy a lot of stuff for his camper, anything they listed as buy this. He had a couple solar wrenches with those tab compressors. Wrench wouldn't fit over the MC4 wire nut and the tab compressor end didn't fit either. Didn't have the heart to tell him he had just bought junk. I made a compressor out of aluminum stock with a file that will fit anything.
Can you post a pic? How thick was your aluminum ?

FWIW - I just cut these parts off. If necessary, I'll add some electrical tape.
Very disappointed that the industry would, in the name of safety / NEC, not require better standardization. As I understand it, one company created the authentic MC4 connector, and deserves credit for that. BUT it's like that company, and regulators, never read the history of Sony's greedy attempt to monopolize betamax / video standards. I'd hope society can push companies and industries to learn history and not repeat past mistakes, and actually help us all move forward. For now, the only answer I have is cut and tape.

Picture of a DIY QUICK RELEASE MC4 !

(due to overkill on the cutting (one tab got fully cut off) I'm sure others can do better).

Now no bs spanner key or mc4 connector key is needed.
No fussing with whether I purchase the right key.
No worry as to whether this key fits this or other connectors.

It's still sticky enough to stay together without tape (at least for now).
If anyone has a good reco (recommendation) on tape let me know.
Probably I'll use regular electrical tape.

Note: on a home install this may violate permits / codes. If you do this, do it at your own risk.

In sum, I am sharing this but not recommending anyone do this.

Attachments

• 20221208_170707.jpg
    20221208_170707.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 10
Back