diy solar

diy solar

Why ceramic fuses for multimeters are so expensive?

distrbd

Hi all,
This is my first post , my name is Ken and I am a total newbie at age 70, I just made a DIY 12V/ 120A battery bank and a couple of Li-ion 12V (7.5 Ah) smaller batteries.
My question though is more related to ceramic fuses as the title says, I just bought my third digital multimeter, this one is a manual range(klein 325), my frustration started a few days ago when I was testing DC amp and blew the fuse on my old DMM, so I started looking for ceramic replacement fuses to have as spare for my new Klein which takes two sizes,( a 10 Amp(6x32mm) and a 200mA (5x20mm), but both are 600 volt fuses.

All the genuine fuses sold by reputable vendors are 3 to 4 times the cost of my multimeter, so as usual I checked out Aliexpress and Canadian Amazon , found SIBA brand for the 10A,good price (under $30), sofar so good, but all the 200mA fuses are 250V not 600 V that I need.
My question is , Can I use a 250V(200mA) instead of 600V? my newbie brain thinks it should be alright if all I test less that 50V DC, I don't see myself ever testing anything close to 250V .

I know when I receive replies from seasoned DIYers and pros , they tend to stick to the most generic and safest replies , I'm sure I'll get a lot of replies like " the best option is to stick with direct replacement with exact same specs" and I do understand the logic behind giving the safest most kosher answer but my question was if I stick with low current DC output would it still make a difference whether the fuses in my DMM id 600V or 250V?

I hope if I do need to stick with direct replacement fuses, you guys can post a couple of links where I can find reasonable prices , instead of $40 for a single 10A /600V fuse by Fluke or Bussmann .
Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Hi all,
This is my first post , my name is Ken and I am a total newbie at age 70, I just made a DIY 12V/ 120A battery bank and a couple of Li-ion 12V (7.5 Ah) smaller batteries.
My question though is more related to ceramic fuses as the title says, I just bought my third digital multimeter, this one is a manual range(klein 325), my frustration started a few days ago when I was testing DC amp and blew the fuse on my old DMM, so I started looking for ceramic replacement fuses to have as spare for my new Klein which takes two sizes,( a 10 Amp(6x32mm) and a 200mA (5x20mm), but both are 600 volt fuses.

All the genuine fuses sold by reputable vendors are 3 to 4 times the cost of my multimeter, so as usual I checked out Aliexpress and Canadian Amazon , found SIBA brand for the 10A,good price (under $30), sofar so good, but all the 200mA fuses are 250V not 600 V that I need.
My question is , Can I use a 250V(200mA) instead of 600V? my newbie brain thinks it should be alright if all I test less that 50V DC, I don't see myself ever testing anything close to 250V .

I know when I receive replies from seasoned DIYers and pros , they tend to stick to the most generic and safest replies , I'm sure I'll get a lot of replies like " the best option is to stick with direct replacement with exact same specs" and I do understand the logic behind giving the safest most kosher answer but my question was if I stick with low current DC output would it still make a difference whether the fuses in my DMM id 600V or 250V?

I hope if I do need to stick with direct replacement fuses, you guys can post a couple of links where I can find reasonable prices , instead of $40 for a single 10A /600V fuse by Fluke or Bussmann .
Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
They are punishing you for blowing that fuse !

Just kidding :)

The size of the fuse will not effect the meter working so you can go with whatever size you want. That said once you measure something over the rating of the fuse its subject to blow again. So pick a fuse that's larger than anything you will theoretically ever test with it.

They are punishing you for blowing that fuse !

Just kidding :)

The size of the fuse will not effect the meter working so you can go with whatever size you want. That said once you measure something over the rating of the fuse its subject to blow again. So pick a fuse that's larger than anything you will theoretically ever test with it.
Great advice.

Not all fuses are created equal. Ceramic fuses are the higher rated voltage fuse.

The glass fuses have a limited voltage rating but the ceramic fuse will go the entire voltage range of my multimeter.

I got these 10 amp 600 volt fuses for $12 with a 4 pack

Not all fuses are created equal. Ceramic fuses are the higher rated voltage fuse.

The glass fuses have a limited voltage rating but the ceramic fuse will go the entire voltage range of my multimeter.

I got these 10 amp 600 volt fuses for $12 with a 4 pack

I saw those on Canadian Amazon but was 3 times the price, I ordered similar quality /specs for slightly less.
They are SIBA brand which seem to have a lot of positive feedbacks:
BTw thanks for chiming in, I appreciate all the replies so far.

I started this thread mainly to ask about the smaller 200mA fuses, for some reason I find they are harder for me to find especially if I wanted direct replacement of the original fuse which is 600V , all I could find was 250V , it probably has something to do with how I'm searching for the 200mA.otoh, the 10 amp /600 V are plenty and readily available.

Anyhow, I settled for the generic type and ordered both sizes from amazon, until I locate a source near me to get Bussmann or similar quality.
Thank you all for your inputs.
Regards.
Ken.

These are the 200 ma fuses I got

About $9 US
Thanks chrisski, I could not find it on the Canadian Amazon but it is bookmarked in case I need to order them from the US side in the future. it would cost around $40 by the time I pay for the import fees. paying twice or 3 times more than the Americans is a very familiar story to many Canadians.
Thank you for the link.

Back