diy solar

diy solar

Why do Energy companies make Grid tie next to impossible for DIY

Surprised with 30 years as an engineer you don't have an engineering friend that can do a quick CAD drawing for you for a couple cases of beer.
Just moved to Arkansas a year ago. All my associates are located in Michigan. I could probably have one of them whip something up, so that really isn't the problem. I'm not sure that they would even accept a PE stamp, but the guys I know that carry them all carry them for the state of Michigan. Then I also know a lot of electricians from Michigan, but again not all electrician licenses carry across state lines.

Solar companies are virtually tripping over each other trying to sell you a grid tie install, they do all the approvals for you. Very easy.

I wouldn't believe everything you see on the Simpsons
Tried to use Shine Solar and had a really bad and stressful 3 months of not getting anything. Made a whole lot of promises verbally to get me to sign the contract. Later came back and tried to tell me what they were going to provide that didn't include anything I was promised verbally. Had to pay to get rid of them because of the contract. Also not to mention they jack the cost through the roof and add about a 20% fee for financing with them on top of the 8 to 9 percent annual rate.

After many years of over indulgence, and the reduction of brain cells, is why I simply went with an Off grid setup with grid as backup (GAB) here in my place in NW Ark. There is no permits (heck no place to even grant permits) required and no bureaucratic oversight to protect me from myself.

Why do you want/need to export power?
I really do not want to mess around with batteries, I want to use the grid as my battery. Without the batteries all power I use when the sun goes down would come off the grid, so basically with solar my power would be free while everyone is at work and not at home to use it. I could care less about getting payment if I produce more in a year than I use, I just want a very small electric bill. In emergencies I can hook up generators pretty easily, so not worried about the grid going down.

Shine Solar? Interesting since I see their TV commercial all the time the last couple of years. Based from the commercial I wouldn't trust them at all.

Tried to use Shine Solar and had a really bad and stressful 3 months of not getting anything. Made a whole lot of promises verbally to get me to sign the contract. Later came back and tried to tell me what they were going to provide that didn't include anything I was promised verbally. Had to pay to get rid of them because of the contract. Also not to mention they jack the cost through the roof and add about a 20% fee for financing with them on top of the 8 to 9 percent annual rate.

Did you name them and shame them? 🫠

I used Perth Solar Force for both my installs, no complaints. They were pretty curious about my DIY stuff and wind turbines

Sorry about the rant, but it is just ridiculous.

Right now trying to deal with Entergy Arkansas for approval to install a grid tied system. Small in the big scheme of things at 5.3 kW. The problem is the paperwork wants a drawing that is not a problem on the face of it, but the guy I talked to on the phone said it has to be in CAD. Buying a Cad program is expensive. Right now if I have to buy a Cad program, even a cheap one is going to add almost 10% to the total cost of my system. Then you go further down into the paperwork and they ask for the installers qualifications/certifications. I have worked in the power industry as an electrical engineer for almost 30 years, prior to that I was an electrician in the military. I never got to be a journeyman and well I never went and tested for my PE either. You would think project oversite of construction of a 180 MW solar farm would be better qualifications than an electrician that may have never worked on a solar system. I thought home owners were allowed to do work on their own home. The last thing is they want a county or city inspector to sign off on it, well considering I live in unincorporated land the city has told me they won't do it and the county doesn't have inspectors. The city actually told me it is up to the energy company to inspect.

Well I have sent an E-mail to their section that deals with this stuff and am hoping some hand drafted drawings and such will be adequate. It isn't complicated, 2 wires from each panel goes to a micro inverter. Each micro inverter takes 2 panels. The output of the micro inverters go to a trunk line with a max of 6 micro inverters per trunk. The trunk line runs down conduit on the side of the building to a cut off switch/breaker. The switch/breaker gets ran to the breaker box and put in on a double pole breaker through the interior wall of the building. The switch/breaker requires an 8' ground rod and if your going to be extra safe you can add a second ground rod 6' away from the first. Yes I calculated all wire sizes and plan on using SOOW for exposed wiring. All PV wire will be well over sized at 10AWG for 50V panels. The power companies like to pretend you have to be someone special to find all the info needed to install these systems, when the reality is you just need to have a couple brain cells that haven't been pickled from years of over indulgence in spirits.
Fusion 360 is free.

diy solar

diy solar
Back