diy solar

diy solar

why is this system so expensive?

Sitting here looking at this made me remember that I have seen Go-Power inverters at a truckstop. I bought one about three years ago, had a light up logo that looked really neat, and a phone app with Bluetooth. I didn't remember it very well as I took it back two days later and got my money back. It made power ok but used way too much power in standby or very very low late nite loads. I think it was the light up stuff, and always broadcasting Bluetooth etc.

The heart of any mobile system that will ever be connected to shore power is a ul-458 listed inverter/charger.

I wasn't suggesting MidNite Solar, or lugging around a 200# SMA inverter in a van (much less my 2200# battery) - I was just pointing out that kits don't need to be $8/watt.

Although MidNite solar does have a cute little PWM charge controller at the low wattage/voltage end - the Brat, and a slightly larger MPPT one, the Kid.

Generally speaking kits are often have a higher markup than purchasing components separately (there are exceptions to this), part of what you are paying for is someone else curating the components for you, and part of what you are paying for (in some cases) is a markup because people who gravitate towards kits tend to be newbies who don't know better and are intimidated by selecting individual components, and don't know what to look for. There are good kits for a reasonable markup (some markup is fair), and some that are not marked up at all, but they are the exception to the rule.

diy solar

diy solar
Back