diy solar

diy solar

Why Is? Variation in Voltage from Panel/Controller

Plecoptera

I am watching a normal power generation cycle and wondering why things are. I use BlueTooth Victron MPPT and their controller app, and am watching the "Trend". Right now, on the panel/Solar side, Watts produced per minute doesn't vary much, and Watts variation seems tightly correlated to Amps variation, which also doesn't vary much. Voltage bounces around quite a bit, and seems to be the priority for dealing with change per Victron. So Victron has decided to aim for a steady flow by modulation of Voltages rather than Amps.

I assume there is an engineering reason for this, which not being an engineer escapes me. I have no bias for one over the other.

So, if you wanted a steady stream of Watts, and could get that by modulation of either Amps, or Volts, why would you choose Volts?

Volts and amps vary on input based on conditions of sunlight.
With an mppt sufficiently high input voltage from panels can bounce around a lot but the volts and amps to the battery are controlled both to properly charge a battery type and provide over voltage charging limits to protect the battery

Don't worry about voltage coming out of your panels. Just check the wattage and trust the controller it's getting the most out of it.

The reason for this is rather complex, but the simple version is controlling voltage works better and is easier.

Back