diy solar

diy solar

Solar controller for each panel

Blair Mullen

I would like to get input from anyone who has an opinion and experience in this subject

I have five panels Metrix 390 watts 48.2 Voc and 9.97 Isc.
I’m going to install flat on the roof of my motorhome with the intention of putting another 5 on the top of the first which will extend out when parked, IF I’m not happy with the output of the first 5 panels on overcast days

So I have chosen a Victron 150/45 to run each panel, so that would be 5 controllers, and if I wanted to install the second set of 5 panels I would connect them parallel to the first set.
So then each controller would have 2 panels connected in series
So 96.4 Voc and 9.97 Isc
The 150/45 gives me room for cold weather
But I don’t think I’ll ever need it because it’s under cover in the winter
Another question is, when in storage will the panels still be producing Voc voltage with no amps which could cook a 100/50 controller?
Which is why I chose the 150/45 controller

My reasoning for using 5 separate controllers is if I have partial shading on one panel it would only affect the one panel and not the whole string if I was using one controller and for my planed system I would need a larger controller and very expensive
So 5 smaller controllers would possibly be no more or not much more expensive than the one bigger controller
Any and all comments are welcome
Thanks
Blair

Put all 10 panels on now. If cost is a concern get 2 mppts and run them sets of 4 in series/parallel then buy the other 3. You can't have too many panels.

Yes when in storage they will produce more voc because not used. But you can just put the panels on Breakers and shut them off in storage. Or just disconnect the wiring.

Is this a 12 volt system?

You could parallel a number of panels for 45 amps if you went with a 24 volt or 48 volt system.

Is this a 12 volt system?

You could parallel a number of panels for 45 amps if you went with a 24 volt or 48 volt system.
You can parallel them anyways and just be over panel led, letting the mppts max out only when perfect.

Back