diy solar

diy solar

Why shouldn't I buy a 120AH Deep Cycle Battery at COSTCO for half the price of a GEL ?

olignyf

Hi,
I saw this deep cycle battery at COSTCO at 150$CAD. It's half price of a 120AH GEL sealed battery.
If one keeps the battery outside during summer and don't care about hydrogen gas, why doesn't everybody buy those cheaper battery at COSTCO for their solar power installation?
Will it be half the lifetime or something?
20210703_162416.jpg
20210703_162337.jpg

Thanks folks!
Francois

Because in the long run that is a very expensive battery that you can only use half of its rated power. You'll get 500 to 1200 charge cycles out of that if you are really lucky and do the work to baby that battery. Vs Lifepo4 where you can get 5000 charge cycles and at the end of that it drops to 80 % of its capacity

why doesn't everybody buy those cheaper battery
Because its not a true deep cycle battery, its a starter battery. The charge cycles will be low, around 200 if you limit the discharge and recharge correctly, if ill treated you may get 50 cycles or less.
For a modest system powering a few led lights and a fan, charging phones and laptops it may last a few years. Powering an inverter may reduce the life to a few months.

Below is a diagram of cycle life where different battery types were fully cycled. Its a bit unfair to the lead acid since they were discharged to flat and charged/discharged at relatively high currents. However it shows just how superior lithium batteries are compared to lead acid under severe conditions.
Sterling Battery Test.jpg
Mike

I saw this deep cycle battery at COSTCO at 150$CAD. It's half price of a 120AH GEL sealed battery.
Between the two the $150 Costco battery would probably last longer. My three 13 year old equivalent Walmart batteries are still good. Note: Used as heavy equipment starter batteries for their first 10 years. The reason I'm using two of them for solar now is they're free and I have four times the panels than needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mia
Between the two the $150 Costco battery would probably last longer. My three 13 year old equivalent Walmart batteries are still good. Note: Used as heavy equipment starter batteries for their first 10 years.
I don’t know who makes costkoland batteries. But your used heavy equipment batteries are probably not deep cycle.

I’ve enjoyed extended lifespans from walmartha deep cycle batteries. Never really used starting batteries for battery banks though.

lifepo may be longrun cheaper; they should be, they’re designed to be gachilion cycles.

Not saying lead acid is better. But I will say that they’ve achieved my goals for their intended use, and checking the fluid levels ain’t that hard to do. Treated well, five full years or more isn’t unusual in my experience. I will say I know people who can consistently kill new deep cycle batteries just about every year on their small boats, while I ran the same walmartha batteries they buy for four or five years without issue.
Battery tlc matters

If one keeps the battery outside during summer and don't care about hydrogen gas, why doesn't everybody buy those cheaper battery at COSTCO for their solar power installation?
Easy answer,
Because gel will beat the crap out of FLA Costco on every metric, unless you only need it to work for 6 months.
Their idea of "Deep Cycle" and an actual Deep Cycle battery will not stand up to close comparison.
Costco only expects 5% of the people to return their $150 battery. The warranty is for shorts, not capacity loss.

Todays modified answer:

It would take, an absolute minimum, 2 Costco 100ah batteries ($300) to match 1 low to mid range LFE 100ah ($375-$500) over 1 year usage with a 75ah per day drain. Because after that first year there WILL be significant capacity lost. If you manage to forget the water for a week or 2,,,,, now it's less than a year. You would be lucky if you still have 75% FLA capacity after 18 months 50% after 24. Now compare 8 to 15 year expected life span for LFE, and that is to 80% functional capacity.
By the time you add an auto water and high frequency de-sulphate on each battery, you may as well buy LFE even at a 2 to 1 price difference.
Store your LFE at 30% for a few months and comfortably get 10 to 20% more out of it. Let any FLA sit for a week at 30% and you can get a $10 Autozone store card for it.
If you have an enormous FLA battery bank and manage to use 20%, recharging to full with absorb and float every single day, like a starter battery in a car, they will last quite a while like most car batteries. That outfit would still cost way more than a few off the shelf LFE.
Even the high grade gel batteries are fragile in comparison to LFE.
There are a few positive reviewed Amazon LFE in a box, no assembly required, of apparent good quality that you would only have to take into account low temps and modifications to charge profile.100ah $500, 200ah $800.
A DIY build????? 250ish amp hours think a $600ish ballpark. For a DIY If somebody is already off grid or at least supplementing the grid, they most likely have the skills to crimp a few wires.
For those who's time is "too valuable" to waste building a battery, please stop quoting sports statistics.

After 15 years of 100% off grid FLA, hell no, I will never go back. I'm 57 now with 2500ah of 12v DIY LFE, it is entirely possible they will outlive me. For the younger generations, It is not likely you will have anything remaining in your possession after 25 years that you paid $4500 for today.

It's like having twin 2 year olds that seem to never grow up. Then, all at once, in one day, they grow up, get a good job, leave the house and pay back rent.

If Lithium batteries were not significantly or vastly superior to FLA/GEL in all but 2 aspects, much of this forum would not exist.
Sorry die hard lead heads.

Last edited:
OMG I just checked the price of Lithium batteries, a 100 AH is 1299$CAD :eek:

It will also last 6 to 10 times longer.

Likely much more if you treat them properly.
You can also build your own DIY lithium battery and get nearly 3x the capacity for half the cost.

Reactions: Mia
Nothing wrong with FLA batteries.

They do need to be watered and equalized occasionally.

I am building my first lithium bank now. I will have twice the storage power in same amount of space as my lead acid batteries took up. For me, putting together the cells, choosing a BMS, figuring how to work around keeping them above freezing to prevent the BMS kicking in and preventing charging and all the other things that go into seem to be nearly as hard as putting the entire system in my RV the first time.

Others are using FLA forklift batteries to run a house.

I’ve also not read a posting on the forum about a FLA battery catching fire.

Like has been said about the FLA battery in post #1, that’s not a true deep cycle battery. A true deep cycle FLA battery will be fine.

You also looked at the most expensive LiFePo4 battery on the market.

Availability.

Much less stock in Canada and increased shipping costs to get them there.

Plus US to CAD. 500 US is some 620 CAD.

And if it's a popular item amazon has a tendency to jack the price on certain areas as well.

A combination of factors, but yes. Sellers will sometimes think they've got gold in their hands as well.

Back