diy solar

diy solar

Wicking threadlocker to stop connections loosening due to vibration

Simi 60

Apparently heat and possibly fires "could" be caused if connections become loose say from vibration for example.

As our bank is on a boat in a space near the engine room and prone to vibration it has me wondering.
If everything is nicely torqued down and running fine why couldn't I use wicking thread locker?

Continuity is already achieved, the wicking thread locker should only creep into air voids and set, preventing connections vibrating loose.

For those that haven't used it here is a video of one brand
There are other brands

The biggest concern with any Loctite type sealer is that if it wicks into the contact area for your terminals it provides resistance in the joint which increases the heat, which can cause fires. I think if you wanted to use locker on threads you'd have to use the thicker stuff to ensure it DOESN'T wick down into the actual contact areas.

It will be fine. I use low strength loctite in conjunction with star washers when i install busbars to cells. If there are no air voids the loctite will not wick - if there are air voids there is already a high resistance joint.

My preference is to buff cell top pad and busbar to mirror finish, then use high strength loctite for the studs into cell top, tiny amount of alminox paste between busbar and cell top, star washer, low strength loctite on nut.

Unless you use excessive loctite, it will not wick all the way to the cell top/busbar interface before it sets.

I agree with @toms
I wouldn't worry about it wicking that much.
Yes you can overdo it, I think you'd have to dip the bolt into the loctite and have it dripping.
Which is the wrong way to apply it.

Just a question, aren’t Nyloc nuts or lock washers sufficient ?

That’s all I use on my boat.

I've considered using nylock but my concern is if it gets really hot, melts the nylon and than you have loose connections
creating more heat. I could just be paranoid, because nylock would seem to work.

Nyloc retains it’s locking ability up to 250 Fahrenheit.

If my batteries get that hot I’m grabbing a life jacket and jumping in ! ?

Last edited:
Agreed you have bad connections and bigger issues if nylock of locknuts melt.

As for wicking loctite I’d try it on one or two cells first see how it goes before hitting up all terminals.

Nylocs can make it difficult to get an accurate torque application at the low torque values used in some cell applications.

Probably, but that's not what was supplied for busbars or the larger main terminals and studs.

Cool, sounds like a wee drop on the studs and connectors it is.
Thanks

Ob my RV I use a drop of blue thread locker. Really not much. You can put it inside the nut and let it dry for a second before putting it on.

If you are concerned about conducting, the nut should really only hold the terminal to the surface. The threat itself should not be the main conductor. Terminal to surface is carrying most of the current. That should be clean and not non conductive materials in between.

Yeah don't use nyloc on cells. They can be so different from nut to nut. Manufacturer to manufacturer. You strip out a cell terminal really easy. They got their place, but cells is not one of them.

Back