diy solar

diy solar

Will a "smart" bms work with my all in one hybrid growatt solar inverter?

john4325

Hello.
I wanted to ask if there will be any problems if I use a smart BMS (like the 100AMP JK, 2AMP balance current) on my NMC batteries and then connect it to my "all in one" Growatt SPF 3000TL HVM 3kW 48volt Off-Grid Inverter, I wont be connecting them together through the communication port because i heard there is no standardization with the protocol.

My friend told me that i could have some problems with this like:
-the bms cuts of the battery to protect the battery and then my inverter will turn off (I could set up the cut of voltage values the inverter so the inverter will always react before the bms so this doesn't happen)

-the smart bms "could" make my inverter have a harder time reading the entire 48 volt pack, which would make setting up the cut off charge/discharge voltage and things like this harder when setting it up in the inverter (which could make the inverter keep discharging/charging the battery so much that the bms will react first and then my inverter will shut down because it needs the battery connection to stay ON)

Will I have problems like this? Maybe I could just buy a standalone balancer for the battery and then let the "bms" inside the inverter decide what to do (you can set up all the voltages in the inverter, the only downside is that it wont see individual cells but only the entire 48volt pack, (this worked fine with my current AGM batteries that didn't have any balancers,bms)

If you configure the bms and inverter right, the issues you mention shouldn't occur.

The BMS acts as a safety net and should not cutoff the battery during normal operation.

I have 2 280 batteries, with JK-BMS, connected to my inverters and solar charge controllers. No communication and no issues.

In the inverters I use pretty conservative values so before any of the values in the BMS are reached (low/high voltage cuttoff), the inverter/scc acts before the bms will.

The beauty of the smart bms, is that you can set variables yourself, so also the bms-settings can be very conservative to avoid damage to your battery if something is 'abnormal'.

Just program your growatt well within the values of your BMS, and you will be fine.

Back