diy solar

diy solar

Will this lithium battery and all in one inverter work with an old set up?

sonjasolar

I purchased a property with an old solar set-up. It had a trickle of working power and has since died. The current system has 6 panels in parallel at 310 W and 46.1 open circuit voltage. (see image below). The batteries in place have died and I have already purchased a 5KWh LifePO4 Battery here in Australia at a really reasonable price from Greenbank solar. It's a 24v battery. Now I have decided to make things easy on myself and purchase an all in one inverter so I need to get one that is compatible. This is where I need help. I have been recommended this inverter to work with my battery
Pure sine wave inverter

6.0 KW MPPT
Solar charger of the maximum charging current is 100A
120-500V wide PV input

Can work no battery
Generate power from PV directly to supply load, even without battery
PV to AC efficiency is much higher

SO MY QUESTION IS WILL THIS WORK WITH MY SOLAR ARRAY?
I believe that the inverter needs a minimum voltage of 120 V PV input. So given my solar panels I would need to change these to series connect?
It seems that the high in put voltage requirement may be related to the fact that this inverter can be used without a battery when the sun is out.

AND does this also mean to work well they all need to be fully in the sun most of the day to work at all?

What would be your recommendation? I would like an all in one inverter but perhaps I should put the system together myself. Or just wire the solar panels in series for now as a quick solution. Any input is appreciated.

Cheers,
Sonja

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 9.28.08 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 9.28.08 am.png
    763 KB · Views: 4
  • eBay.jpeg
    eBay.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0195.PNG
    IMG_0195.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0196 2.PNG
    IMG_0196 2.PNG
    5.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I believe that the inverter needs a minimum voltage of 120 V PV input. So given my solar panels I would need to change these to series connect?
Yes, you can setup your array as 3S2P or 6S. Its a bit of a toss up as to which will produce better. 6S is simpler to setup. If you go 3S2P you have the option to point 3 panels eastish and 3 panels westish to extend your solar day (reduces charge amps and will let your inverter run directly off solar for a longer period... which i believe are good).
But, if you are not getting 120V until late morning or during overcast days, 6S with higher volts will be better.
Either way, its an easy change and you can see what works best without affecting anything else.

T
Yes, you can setup your array as 3S2P or 6S. Its a bit of a toss up as to which will produce better. 6S is simpler to setup. If you go 3S2P you have the option to point 3 panels eastish and 3 panels westish to extend your solar day (reduces charge amps and will let your inverter run directly off solar for a longer period... which i believe are good).
But, if you are not getting 120V until late morning or during overcast days, 6S with higher volts will be better.
Either way, its an easy change and you can see what works best without affecting anything else.
Thanks very much for your input. I will try the 6S form first and see how things go.

Back