diy solar

diy solar

I’m new to all of this and could really use some help please.

To address your wire question... that's a cost/loss question.

If you want to be analytical about it, use a voltage drop calculator (https://www.southwire.com/calculator-vdrop) and keep the drop to less than 3% over your run and match the insulation temperature rating to the current. Most folks just fudge it i.a.w. code.

Since this is a camper, you will have short runs... not like me where I'm running 150 - 250ft (still TBD) between my electronics and my array in my backyard.

Example: I'm running 10gauge copper and will have a 10s2p (10 panels x 2 parallel strings = 20 panels) (~500V, ~23A) configuration back to the first Charge Controller and 11s1p (~550V, ~12A) wire run back to the second Charge Controller. So for my system ... I'm doing 4 runs of 10gauge THHN (or similar) in PVC conduit. My materials cost is just plain nutty at this point.

If you have a max series fuse rating of 20A, then 12gauge *copper* THHN/XHWN/THWN/XHHN or NM or MC will be acceptable depending on how you are running the wires. See: https://www.cerrowire.com/products/resources/tables-calculators/ampacity-charts/

Are you going to parallel the strings or just series?

In either case, for the small amount of wire you are using, just use 10gauge and be done with it. If you want to save a few $, get the 12 gauge and mind your fusing.

The highest quality wire I've found is Polar Wire and its super-bendy if you have a weird run... but you'll need ferrules/lugs and a crimper to terminate it. It's what Scheneider ships OEM in their XW Pro wiring kits and it's really nice to work with at a premium price. For PolarWire you follow what their stated current rating is for a given gauge b/c they use a higher quality/temp. higher price insulation.

Do not use Aluminum wire unless you really know what you are doing... most people's notes and calculators assume *copper* you have to understand the above and do the design work specifically for aluminum. Even I didn't want to deal with that and I sort of know what I'm doing.

Aside: Will also has a youtube video on temperature compensation calculations.

Thank you so much!!!
I will go with the 12 gauge and run 20A fuses as you recommend. I’m only going about 20ft maybe 25ft. They will be in parallel as I read it can cut down on some shading issues.

diy solar

diy solar
Back