Will this work for powering mini split

swittler

I have a small system in the works.

• 5 460 watt solar panels
  • 1 5000 Growatt SPF 5000 ES-US
  • Square D service panel powered through 60 amp breaker
  • 40 amp breaker for the mini split
  • Three 20 amp breakers
I'm just trying to get power to the service panel to run a mini split and three 20 amp breakers. Are the growatts AC output two hots and a ground coming out if so is this the correct way to wire the service panel.

service.jpg

The 3 20 amp breakers cannot be used on a Growatt due to there being NO neutral therefore without a transformer you cannot get a 120 vac circuit.
That model is 220 only.

Speaking just to the panel feed generically per the code you need a separate neutral and the ground needs to go to ground bar not neutral bar.
My mini split only needs 20 Amp breaker and ground, no neutral. Refer to your mini split specs. In both cases ground needs to go to ground bar. You cannot not use un insulated wire for neutral.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rho
I have 1200AH of Lead Bateries and 3000 watts of PV with 60 amp CC and 5000 watt Pure sine inverter
Is there a mini split I can run on this?

There are 220-240V mini-splits I have a pair running, one for the Garage and rear enclosed porch, they are MrCool brand, very low power. The 9000 btu pull 6.4 amps when running at maximum output. This would be ideal for you don't need a neutral for 240V. Typically they loaf along at a few hundred watts.

The linked one is SEER 18, They have 4 other models with higher SEER upto 25, but at higher costs

How about in 115 volt?

They have the same model in 115V, but your inverter doesn't have a neutral, so your only option is 220V, unless you add an auto transformer to create a neutral, which can cost $400-$600 and consume energy all the time.

On your panel, remove the ground wire from the neutral bar, it should be to the bounding screw of the panel. When/if you get an auto-transformer, it would connect to the outputs of the inverter and it would connected to the neutral bar bar of the panel. Also you have a 60 amp breaker, but a ~20 amp inverter, that breaker needs to be reduced to a HOM225 ( 25 amp )

They have the same model in 115V, but your inverter doesn't have a neutral, so your only option is 220V, unless you add an auto transformer to create a neutral, which can cost $400-$600 and consume energy all the time.

On your panel, remove the ground wire from the neutral bar, it should be to the bounding screw of the panel. When/if you get an auto-transformer, it would connect to the outputs of the inverter and it would connected to the neutral bar bar of the panel. Also you have a 60 amp breaker, but a ~20 amp inverter, that breaker needs to be reduced to a HOM225 ( 25 amp )
I am confused about the Inverter and the relation to the panel.
All I want to do is plug the Unit into my inverter using the 115 volt outlet the same as my freezer.
Is this not possible?

I am confused about the Inverter and the relation to the panel.
All I want to do is plug the Unit into my inverter using the 115 volt outlet the same as my freezer.
Is this not possible?

Yes I see why, your posting in the middle of someone else's thread that is using a 220V growatt. You didn't mention anything except you have a 5000 watt inverter, which is the same power rating of the OP of the thread and I missed your question was from a different poster, sorry!

Mini-Splits only need about 1200 watts for 9,000 btu units, they come in both 120V and 240V options, if you have a power system than can support a peak load of this, you can use a mini-split and the company of the link I provided has many options in BTU's , voltage choices

Thanks for your input. The Mini I have currently is not an inverter type so I can't get it to start

I finally figured out my problem running my "Non Inverter Compressor" Mini Split.
I had 12 batteries in parallel ( 12 Volt) each. It would NOT start my 16 Seer Mini.
I switched to a 48 Volt battery bank using the same Lead Acid Batteries and it runs like a champ !!!!
I learn something new every day

Back