diy solar

diy solar

Wind generator max rpm

gonediving

Most wind turbines are listed as low speed 500rpm generators. Is this the minimum speed at which they will generate rated power or the max rpm that they should be allowed to turn?

I'm considering bolting a ~5kw permanent magnet generator to my boats diesel engine to recharge my 48v Lifepo4 house bank. All seem to be advertised as low (500rpm) units. Are here models that are rated to ~2000 rpm?

Generally speaking, wind turbine generators seem a cheap and easy way to build a ~5kw DC generator that is happy with variable drive speed. I just have to find a model that has a suitable rpm range.

Thanks

Depends entirely on how the motor itself is wired. I wired mine for reaching charging voltage (14.5v) at a low rpm (60), but poles, windings, etc. all contribute to the end result. I suspect that 500 rpm is where the common motors are wired for, ie a car alternator really doesnt start putting out "extra" voltage (the regulator holds it at 14.5v) and current until 1500 rpm, so just slapping some blades on a car alternator will require a higher rpm than a PMA (permanent magnet alternator) uses due to how the motor itself is wired.

There should be charts available for wind generators, showing Voltage, current, wind speed, rpm all against each other. I had to develop my own as I made my own generator, but some manufacturers may post them, others just tell you (and advertise) "1000w generator" when this is likely the theoretical generation at maximum rpm/wind speed, something that is unlikely to occur very often unless you get constant blizzards/hurricanes/tornadoes.

Attachments

• rpmVSvoltsVSmph.png
    rpmVSvoltsVSmph.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 2
I'm considering bolting a ~5kw permanent magnet generator to my boats diesel engine to recharge my 48v Lifepo4 house bank. All seem to be advertised as low (500rpm) units. Are here models that are rated to ~2000 rpm?
I think I'd avoid going down this route due most small turbine generators being low quality and would likely not give you very good reliability.

Why not get a high output alternator already designed for this?

Not suggesting this is the one, it's just the first hit on my Google.

Back