diy solar

diy solar

Window AC unit conversion to water heater

orangezero

I already own a portable AC and also a window AC unit that I have disassembled to clean the radiators. Both were less than $20 and I don't really need extra AC at this point, so I wanted to experiment a little. I'm certainly not looking for answers that involve $3000 devices, just to be as clear as I can be.

I have excess solar a good part of the time. The more I keep in DC the better because I don't have a huge inverter. I was planning to use some DC fans to blow air over the cold radiator. The hot radiator would be encased in a metal container filled with mineral oil. This metal shell would heat up and heat the water in the insulated tank. I pump water out of as needed. Not really sure if I'll use it all the time and try to keep it at 130f or just use as needed.

I've done a few experiments in a small plastic children's pool and it gets a small amount of water really hot rather quickly. I know some people submerge their entire computer in mineral oil and mining rigs, etc. There are specific nonconductive chemicals other than mineral oil sold in the retail market, but all I've found are comparatively high priced. I'm open to better options.

I also know window AC outside radiators typically get up to 130f or so in many summer scenarios, which likely around where I'd want to be if I was heating water and storing it. It feels like this would be decent/good for making hot water, and not ideal for constant cold air. But it would produce cold air and be better than a resistive heating element at making heat.

It would also allow some dehumidification and I'd need to deal with condensation, doesn't seem like a big issue.

I'm mostly looking for reasons why mineral oil would be bad for the metal radiator before I purchase a gallon and try this out. I don't think it would be great to submerge the radiator straight into water if I want it to last very long. One of my radiators is beginning to rush/corrode in the area where the condenser water was splashing on it.

Getting rid of the AC fan may help lower the starting amps a tiny bit, but I assume most of that is from the compressor starting up.

Thoughts?

diy solar

diy solar
Back