diy solar

diy solar

Winterizing Lifepo4 battery Bank?

Dem66

I will be building a Lifepo4 Battery Bank for a camper trailer that sits in my driveway all winter in the mountains of Colorado. I researched winterizing the battery and found conflicting information. A video from Battle Born says to charge the battery to at least 14.4 volts and then disconnect the battery. Somewhere else I read to charge the battery to no more than 60-70% and then disconnect it. What is the consensus on what to charge the battery to before disconnecting it?

Also I plan to put on a negative battery cut off switch. Which side of the switch should I wire the BMS? Is it better to have no load on the battery when in storage including the BMS? Or should the BMS be connected to the battery all the time including while in storage?

Thanks,

Dan

Battleborn does seem to deviate from standard recommendations .... maybe is has to do with the cells they are using ... which are not prismatic cells like most are using .... or maybe they think the cells will last thru the warranty period anyway.

The standard recommendation would be to store between 40 and 50% SOC

Battleborn does seem to deviate from standard recommendations .... maybe is has to do with the cells they are using ... which are not prismatic cells like most are using .... or maybe they think the cells will last thru the warranty period anyway.

The standard recommendation would be to store between 40 and 50% SOC
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any recommendations on whether to keep the BMS connected or not?

I will be building a Lifepo4 Battery Bank for a camper trailer that sits in my driveway all winter in the mountains of Colorado. I researched winterizing the battery and found conflicting information. A video from Battle Born says to charge the battery to at least 14.4 volts and then disconnect the battery. Somewhere else I read to charge the battery to no more than 60-70% and then disconnect it. What is the consensus on what to charge the battery to before disconnecting it?

Also I plan to put on a negative battery cut off switch. Which side of the switch should I wire the BMS? Is it better to have no load on the battery when in storage including the BMS? Or should the BMS be connected to the battery all the time including while in storage?

Thanks,

Dan

My understanding is that BattleBorn LifePO4 100Ah batteries are made with a LOT of 18650 cells.

40% seems to be the consensus on storing 18650 cells so, maybe they consider more than just cell life for storage recommendations?

Oddly, Rebel batteries also recommends a 70% SOC storage voltage. I hope an expert chimes in on these "odd" recommendations.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any recommendations on whether to keep the BMS connected or not?
I guess it would depend on the BMS and how easy it is to access .... my battery with the JBD ... overkill solar .... type BMS doesn't seem to draw much current while stored.
My Chargery BMS has a stop mode and then draws very low current.

If it is easy to access, disconnect it.

I'd probably be more worried about how low the temperature gets .... but not up to speed on low temperature storage considerations.

Low temperature storage is another concern I have. We can hit -40 degrees Fahrenheit occasionally. Is this a problem? I did read somewhere that you could store them down to -40.

The cells I ordered are Lishen cells and I see from there spec sheet that they can by stored down to -30c (-22F) for 1 month. Our average low temperature in January is 4F. So my question is can these cells handle a few short durations of temperatures below -30c while in storage?

diy solar

diy solar
Back