diy solar

diy solar

Wiring 24 volt battery bank

Glots222

Want to set up eight 12v batteries to a 24v system.
Found this diagram. Have never worked with 24v.
On 12v setup I wire so the output cables are drawing across the whole bank not all from one end.
I know this diagram would work but would it be better to have one line say the negative be connected to the terminal on bottom battery far right spreading the draw across all?IMG_0696.png

Do you have 4 banks of batteries? If so you really should look at taking everything to common bus bars for each end to keep things balanced. All the Positive wires need to be the same length, and all the Negative wires should be the same length, but your Positive cables don't need to be the same length as your Negative wires.

Fixed-2.jpg Fixed-1.jpg

As an example, my 12v system all comes to the common bus bars where the SCC and main shutoff both connect up.

Do you have 4 banks of batteries? If so you really should look at taking everything to common bus bars for each end to keep things balanced. All the Positive wires need to be the same length, and all the Negative wires should be the same length, but your Positive cables don't need to be the same length as your Negative wires.

View attachment 170292 View attachment 170293

As an example, my 12v system all comes to the common bus bars where the SCC and main shutoff both connect up.

All connections from battery to battery will be the same.
I am making the cables so they will be sized the same to fit to the layout.
The inverter will be about 8 to 10 feet from the batteries.
Nothing I can do about that.
The main question is where to connect cables to batteries.
In the diagram it would be top upper left positive and bottom
Right negative (or the reverse)?

You'd connect the batteries to a set of common bus bars close to the batteries, then just run 1 set of cables from the bus bars to your inverter and loads. Keeping all the batteries close together and connected to the bus bars, the bus bars will naturally keep the batteries in balance and you don't have to worry about which end goes where.

You'd connect the batteries to a set of common bus bars close to the batteries, then just run 1 set of cables from the bus bars to your inverter and loads. Keeping all the batteries close together and connected to the bus bars, the bus bars will naturally keep the batteries in balance and you don't have to worry about which end goes where.
Been thinking about bus bars. If I do that I still need to make a cable from each battery to bar.
Can just connect batteries together.
Still thinking.

Been thinking about bus bars. If I do that I still need to make a cable from each battery to bar.
Can just connect batteries together.
Still thinking.
Right, but each cable can be much shorter and the bus bars will keep the batteries balanced. Someone should be along soon with the Victron battery wiring guide that shows all sorts of wires going back and forth to keep the batteries in balance which is a lot more crimps and copper.

Right, but each cable can be much shorter and the bus bars will keep the batteries balanced. Someone should be along soon with the Victron battery wiring guide that shows all sorts of wires going back and forth to keep the batteries in balance which is a lot more crimps and copper.
Just looked up the Victron guide.
Wasn’t aware of it.
Very helpful.

Using your picture, take the negative from the bottom right and the positive from the top left, or vice versa.

Back