diy solar

diy solar

Wiring Diagram \ Setup for Battery 1st -- Grid Backup

TheHappyNomads

I'm having a hard time finding a diagram that meets what I think I want/need for the system I'm building out. Essentially, I am looking to charge a battery bank using PV and use energy stored in the bank first and once that is drained for the AC from the grid to kick in.

I am in CA and not planning on a grid tied system as NEM 3.0 seems pretty lame. I know this it a total noob question and not sure if it's even possible but I think it is so any links or videos or info would be appreciated.

I'm having a hard time finding a diagram that meets what I think I want/need for the system I'm building out. Essentially, I am looking to charge a battery bank using PV and use energy stored in the bank first and once that is drained for the AC from the grid to kick in.

I am in CA and not planning on a grid tied system as NEM 3.0 seems pretty lame. I know this it a total noob question and not sure if it's even possible but I think it is so any links or videos or info would be appreciated.

Right here on this page here in this forum, click on the drop-down menu above (at top of page) titled 'DIY Solar Products and System Schematics', there are a bunch of diagrams there to help understand all the possibilities available. Also check the 'Resources' section as well.

There are a few decisions you will want to make like standalone charge controllers / standalone inverters, vs all-in-one inverters, etc for example..

My guess is you just want a decent all-in-one, with some batteries and solar panels for now. EG4 all-in-ones and EG4 battery shelves seem to be popular these days, but there are many brands to choose from, depending one what features you're looking for.

How much power do you need? Usually you would want to do an energy audit to decide what kind of capacity you need to build around.

Right here on this page here in this forum, click on the drop-down menu above (at top of page) titled 'DIY Solar Products and System Schematics', there are a bunch of diagrams there to help understand all the possibilities available. Also check the 'Resources' section as well.

There are a few decisions you will want to make like standalone charge controllers / standalone inverters, vs all-in-one inverters, etc for example..

My guess is you just want a decent all-in-one, with some batteries and solar panels for now. EG4 all-in-ones and EG4 battery shelves seem to be popular these days, but there are many brands to choose from, depending one what features you're looking for.

How much power do you need? Usually you would want to do an energy audit to decide what kind of capacity you need to build around.

I'll scroll through the schematics. I was just using the search function and wasn't finding what I was looking for. My current equipment includes (10) 400w QCells panels and (2) LV6548's for all-in-ones.

I would like to aim for 30-35kWh of battery storage which should adequately cover most days' usage and significantly reduce grid energy on hot/cold days when running mini-splits.

I've been looking at various battery options (server rack vs DIY) and have a general idea on how everything needs to connect on the PV side of the system. I wasn't sure what type of connectivity options there are for when battery is depleted and I need grid AC to kick in. @rodrick is this what you're referring to when you recommend an ATS?

You could do an off-grid system and charge from the grid with a chargeverter. That would be be separation and avoid utility interference.

Ahhhhh! Maybe this is a viable option. So, if I'm understanding this option correctly, after I figure out battery bank storage

(1) I would re/wire my entire house load to a panel distinct from my main service panel from the grid instead being fed by battery.
(2) I would run a line from the main service panel to the battery bank via chargeverter.

Essentially, I never run out of battery because the grid is always supplementing the battery banks to ensure enough energy for required kWh needs? One question/potential risk that comes to mind would be if I have an issue with the battery system at all then I'm out of power until I troubleshoot. Would that be accurate?

The mpp lv6548 have the switch built into the unit set the units up for sbu and your good to go, have the units feed a critical load panel the 6548s would get power from the main panel when solar or battery isn’t available and pass it into the critical panel

I'll scroll through the schematics. I was just using the search function and wasn't finding what I was looking for. My current equipment includes (10) 400w QCells panels and (2) LV6548's for all-in-ones.

I would like to aim for 30-35kWh of battery storage which should adequately cover most days' usage and significantly reduce grid energy on hot/cold days when running mini-splits.

I've been looking at various battery options (server rack vs DIY) and have a general idea on how everything needs to connect on the PV side of the system. I wasn't sure what type of connectivity options there are for when battery is depleted and I need grid AC to kick in. @rodrick is this what you're referring to when you recommend an ATS?

I built DIY batteries as am fine with that, but many of my neighbors on my co-op have purchased the rack batteries as they were after turn-key option. I personally know several on our co-op who've purchased the EG4 Lifepower or the EG4 LL battery modules and they all say good things about them so far.

Example:

I also have 4 of the LV6548s, still haven't completed my installation yet, but they have ability to charge batteries off of grid or solar. When they grid charge, they switch to inverter bypass mode for the duration they are charging batteries. You can also add in some standalone battery chargers (like that EG4 Chargerverter), so they can charge batteries while inverters are running (the LV6548 have ATS function built-in)...

Example:

Last edited:
Back