diy solar

diy solar

Wiring for Multiple Inverters from Grid to an AC Load Breaker Panel.

Joes_Going_Solar

I have 4 Victron Multiplus-II 48/5000/70-95 120v inverters, and I have a question about the AC in and out. I will be running in a split phase 240v mode with 2 inverters parallel per hot line, grid feeding the inverters, and inverters feeding a load panel. In the manual it shows the connections which I somewhat understand, but it does not show breakers and placements. So, Here’s what I assume but I would like to reaffirm that assumption. The grid panel has two 2 pole breakers, Neutrals, Ground ETC feeding the 4 inverters, then from inverters to load panel with two more 2 pole breakers, Neutrals, Grounds ETC? Wouldn’t this be circuit breakers in parallel and be against code? Another question, the 48/5000 has a 95A passthrough, so would sizing breakers and conductors for a 95A breaker be proper, or would sizing them smaller since I’m running multiple inverters be better?

Input breaker size is going to be dependent on your grid service size but in the range 60-125 amps. Output breakers should match the input breakers. One ground connection from the inverter to the ground system is required. You will need neutrals from the input panel and the output panel running with the hot to each inverter.

My main grid panel is 200A so feeding a second panel with two 95A breakers would be fine, but the NEC states in 240.8

240.8 Fuses or Circuit Breakers in Parallel. Fuses and circuit
breakers shall be permitted to be connected in parallel where
they are factory assembled in parallel and listed as a unit. Individual
fuses, circuit breakers, or combinations thereof shall not
otherwise be connected in parallel.

So if I run two 2 pole 95A breakers to the inverters then to a single sub panel then I am running breakers in parallel which is against the NEC. So how are people doing this?

While you are running the inverters in "parallel", they are still set up as two independent systems so you could power one off and the other would still remain running.

The parallel breakers being talked about are the double pole breakers you find in a breaker panel. You cannot make your own double pole breaker by putting two single ones together. It must come from the factory that way.

In your case, you will be running 1 pair of MPs to a double pole breaker and the other pair of MPs to another double pole breaker.

The breakers are feeding separate equipment, so they aren't in parallel with each other.

While you are running the inverters in "parallel", they are still set up as two independent systems so you could power one off and the other would still remain running.

The parallel breakers being talked about are the double pole breakers you find in a breaker panel. You cannot make your own double pole breaker by putting two single ones together. It must come from the factory that way.

In your case, you will be running 1 pair of MPs to a double pole breaker and the other pair of MPs to another double pole breaker.
Thank you for the reply, this is where I was getting confused, thinking that running them in parallel like I was describing was against code. If not then I am good to go. I verified my sub panel is only good for 125A so I will run 60A breakers. Thanks again

Back