diy solar

diy solar

Would you consider this Chinese battery isolator / disconnect / combiner ?

SolaroSsaurius

Setup:
- 24v
- 2 batteries (8x 280Ah)
- max consumption 160A (from both batteries)

Would you consider this 4 position rotary switch for your campervan?
(to be used as disconnect, or battery switcher, if maintenance needs arise)

I know that it's not the one in the forum documentation, but it seems quite beefy, I'll be using it at half of it's (Chinese) specs and it's priced interestingly.

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest that this is NOT a device to scrimp on, like a Quality Breaker vs discount who knows what breaker, can make for a Really BAD Day !
Please do not furtle about with this get a Blue Sea Switch https://www.bluesea.com/products/9001e/e-Series_Selector_Battery_Switch

This is what I use: Bank-1 = 3x 24V/280 & Bank-2 (for now) is 2x 24V/174AH+1x 24V/105AH
Each battery pack is MRBF Fused @ Pike Industries HD Busbars.
Bank-2 is changing into 3x24V/280AH as well.
Thanks for your response, and describing your components.
What do you use to disconnect the batteries?
No Class T for you?

About the switch, the Blue Sea are expensive here, so looking to Victron 275A (x2, one for each battery)

Thanks in advance!

Blue Sea components are seriously tested & pass all tests, I'm sure that Victron is just as diligent. I trust BlueSea and have for a very long time. You will find that many Marine People use BlueSea products and have for decades.

I use MRBF fuses @ the batteries. Everything else is DC Breakers as I am a Midnite Solar guy with their SCC's, E-Panels etc.
1st link in my sig will show you more or less my current config which is now in "Evolution Mode" for the final time, by spring the battery bank will be 6x 280AH Packs in proper Cases with JKBMS Inverter editions + more solar & SCC etc... to go with it.

Last edited:
If I was going to buy any disconnect off aliexpress, it might be that one. I don't believe the market for them is so large that they are out their creating counterfeit molds, which means that is coming out of the same supply chain as Blue Sea's identical product.

But even if it is, there are still all kinds of ways that corners can be cut. Metal stock changed, or maybe they are even QC fails.

I would be tempted but ultimately decide to pay the extra $30 for the name brand.

Setup:
- 24v
- 2 batteries (8x 280Ah)
- max consumption 160A (from both batteries)

Would you consider this 4 position rotary switch for your campervan?
(to be used as disconnect, or battery switcher, if maintenance needs arise)

I know that it's not the one in the forum documentation, but it seems quite beefy, I'll be using it at half of it's (Chinese) specs and it's priced interestingly.

Thanks in advance!

I for one would get this .. ten open i up and test the inside ... going to say that a huge majority of TOP TIER sellers get these and just rebrand them ... why pay extra for a name ?? Of course you need to open back and verify

I for one would get this .. ten open i up and test the inside ... going to say that a huge majority of TOP TIER sellers get these and just rebrand them ... why pay extra for a name ?? Of course you need to open back and verify
I don't know how to test it ...
I believe that this could be a rebranded one from the same line, but could also be a night shift, or did not meet QC

It could also just be a copy ... on the outside ... with who knows what inside. For stuff I'm installing in my living space I'm not going to trust that it "looks" the same. But I am going to trust the real thing, with the certifications and the company name printed on the front, and purchased from a vendor that stands behind the products they sell.

It could also just be a copy ... on the outside ... with who knows what inside. For stuff I'm installing in my living space I'm not going to trust that it "looks" the same. But I am going to trust the real thing, with the certifications and the company name printed on the front, and purchased from a vendor that stands behind the products they sell.

But with that said -- a huge -- HUGE - majority of these "TIER 1" (name brand) companies literally get the same stuff you can in China -- and pay a few cents more to have their name thrown on it -- and 3-4X the price ... of course YES you do have a better chance of warranty support etc by paying more -- but at this point in my life I go for the best bargain I can -- then test their product against what the specs says it can do ...

BAD example but we needed some Night Vision googles for work ... nothing fancy ... just (6) of some good ol' IR Thermal ones ... one of the contracting guys found some good ones that met all the requirements on Amazon for 229.00 ... my night shift girl found the exact same ones on Alibaba for 55.00 delivered ... everything exactly the same -- except for the name ... and the fancy logo ... we went with he 55.00 ones and they have worked perfectly for us ... YES bad example since these aren't going to fail and burn down your house ...

Back