diy solar

diy solar

Yangtze 500W solar Panels

I have my panels strategically placed to deal with shading, and have many parallel strings on separate charge controllers for example. I have no idea how they would handle shading in a more 'traditional' install.

Why do you think they don't have bypass diodes? Which panels are they exactly?

I don’t remember where I read that but am following up on it. Looking at YS600M-72 model; huge panels. I have zero experience with utility-grade panels, which I would expect to give less attention to shading issues because they normally would be mounted in spots with no ground shading issues whatsoever. But the location where these would be used, does have some tree shading during winter mornings and evenings.

Again, thanks for your info.

Yeah, could be they don't have them. Yep, those panels are huge - keep that in mind: you need a few people to install these.
You can always split in multiple strings to work around shading.

I might put optimizers on one string immediately adjacent to an identical string without optimizers, and track the difference. And then retrofit the others if it made enough difference. It would add about six cents per watt to the cost.

Keep us informed regarding those optimizers. I assume you're planning on using those Tigo ones? I've had mixed experiences with those in set-ups I did in the past (mostly related to them only able to lower the voltage, potentially dragging a string down to below the MPPT voltage range), but that probably is different when you can use a higher voltage MPPT controller to begin with, with more panels in series.

Yeah, I’d be using strings in the 500 volt range. If I go with these panels for a project I’m planning, I’ll definitely update. But prolly won’t be able to get this done before august.

Hi guys.

As I really want to contribute I decide to write my experience with panels of this topic.

I'm DIY-er, I build up on-grid 12kWp system with 20pcs Yangtze 600W panels(YS600M-144, dimmension 2274*1134*35) and each have Tigo 700W optimizer below. I have two strings of panels wired in series: one string 11 panels oriented west and second string 9 panels oriented east.

West string Voc 513V (just before inverter kick on), max current 12,8A (inverter max Isc 15A)
East string Voc 417V (just before inverter kick on), max current around 12A.

I purchase last year Tigo premium membership to have all possible data from optimizers as I was curious about panels performance. And I must to say, I catch a moments where some panels push out even more than 550W (for example when outside is not more than 20°C and sun suddenly appear directly on the panel behind a cloud). But normally during spring/autumn time when outside air is below 25°C they have continuous power between 420W and 470W. Now during hot summer (outside 25-35°C) they continuously have 420-440W).

During winter we have about 60cm of heavy snow on them, no problems so far (I have them oriented landscape).

And I order now more of them because I extend my roof and have space to put a few of them on and expand my system. It's hard to find this dimmension in Europe and when I find them to fit, price was more then 50% more than from China.

The only problem that I have was short connecting cables (30cm). It was my mistake because I should order with 1m cables to be able to connect optimizers. So I made short MC4 extension cables to connect everything together. I was not happy that time and skeptical a little bit as there is more possibility of failure, but after year and a half now everything works without problem. I do visual inspection time to time as I have access from ground, I have tight fuses for both strings (15A), monitoring inverter data on Home assistant, etc. So far so good. Yearly production is about 8.5MWh and please consider that orientation is far away from ideal south as I mention above.

So that's my story about Yangtze panels. Yes, they are huge, but they work on cloudy or even rainy days and I cover house consumption completely. There was zero production only when I have snow on them.

Hi guys, think carefully. I bought Yangtze panels 600W panels(YS600M-72) and after two years I regret this decision very much. Poor quality panels, after two years of installation, the aluminum frame corroded and water got inside the panel, causing a lot of corrosion. This has happened in 5 of the 31 panels I have purchased, in 2 panels center section is damaged causing less production. I have panels installed from TIGO so I quickly noticed the problem. However, the worst thing is that the manufacturer's 25-year warranty is fiction. I reported the problem to the seller from Alibaba Marco Ch. who blocked me after reading the message about damaged panels.

Attachments

• flir_20230629T163204.jpg
    flir_20230629T163204.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 1692438437677.jpeg
    1692438437677.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 1688637439420.jpg
    1688637439420.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 11
  • 1688638928983.jpg
    1688638928983.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 1692688045704.jpg
    1692688045704.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 11
  • flir_20230629T162934.jpg
    flir_20230629T162934.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 1692717591007.png
    1692717591007.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Very interesting, thanks for posting. I have the 500W version of these panels and they are fine now four years later. Will you escalate this with Alibaba?

Very interesting, thanks for posting. I have the 500W version of these panels and they are fine now four years later. Will you escalate this with Alibaba?
Yes, I have reported this to alibaba. It's hard to do because it's been over 2 years since sale. But I opened a complaint, waiting for a reply. One thing is for sure now, the manufacturer's warranty is a lie.

I have pinged someone I know at the company, let's see if something happens. He also said he will bring it up with Marco. Again, let's see what happens.
Thanks, I bought one pallet (31 pieces) of panels, 7 of which are not working properly now, probably in a short time when more panels will stop working properly. It may be that the entire production series is damaged and badly glued. I have the opinion of an expert that the cause of this defect is poor quality aluminum and bad gluing. A normal good seller would send new panels and ask for diagrams, photos of damaged panels, maybe even ask to send bad panels to the factory to investigate the cause of problem. In this case probably Yangtze company knows about problem and that's why it reacts that way, i.e. with a ban on messenger. Perhaps other customers have given up...

Today I received a reply from Alibaba about my complain and they can't do anything about it. Any disputes can only be resolved within 60 days of the transaction.(!) So it is clear that the warranty for Yangtze panels is fake. If someone has problems with Yangtze solar panels, the seller will block you on Allibaba and the problem will not exist for him. I have no choice but I make a video on YouTube with my experiences regarding purchase, use and fake warranty solar Yangtze panels. So that someone else in future doesn't have the same problems as me...

Hi guys.
Well I'm very surprised. I have 20 panels 600w as mentioned above. Installed on April 2022 so now second season is ending and during winter there was 60cm of heavy wet snow on them. For now so far so good, I don't notice any damage, also have Tigo optimizers and all panels look like work normally. Visually I have them with easy access and also there is no noticed issues. I don't have thermal camera to check temperature.

I just order last month one pallet (31pcs) of same models to expand existing system, but only need 7 of them all remaining I will use for another project.

From what I read just now above, hope you really have just a bad series.

@upnorthandpersonal who is you contact at company that you mention? If its not a secret of course.

Last edited:
My contact is Alvin Bao, you can probably reach him though Alibaba chat as well.
As I said, I also don't have any issues with my 500W panels from them, and they're going into their 5th year now.

My contact is Alvin Bao, you can probably reach him though Alibaba chat as well.
As I said, I also don't have any issues with my 500W panels from them, and they're going into their 5th year now.
Then I have third one - Mr. Gavin.
How much panels do you have?

Back