diy solar

diy solar

1 array, 2 SCC. Can it be done?

heirloom hamlet

life my way
Is it possible to connect a single 2000kw array to two separate SCCs, each with their own bank?

I find my Lifepo4 280aH 24v pack is charged full to 27.2v in no time with the modest load I put on it at night, and it seems I am leaving a lot of sunlight on the table.

I'm wondering if I could simply put splitters on the end of my 10awg wires and continue the same array's power on down to a separate SCC which charges a separate 24v pack.

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_145055.jpg
    IMG_20200628_145055.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 6
They will fight each other to find Vmp, as a result never settle on it for any reasonable amount of time and you'll get less power out of the array. One forum member actually tried this some time ago and had just these results. It will work though.

If you could put some form of control, say a microcontroller/arduino, between the two SCCs so that only one was active at a time that would work. That might be disconnecting the array via a suitably rated relay, or it might be by turning the charger off via serial port commands etc.

They will fight each other to find Vmp, as a result never settle on it for any reasonable amount of time and you'll get less power out of the array. One forum member actually tried this some time ago and had just these results. It will work though.

If you could put some form of control, say a microcontroller/arduino, between the two SCCs so that only one was active at a time that would work. That might be disconnecting the array via a suitably rated relay, or it might be by turning the charger off via serial port commands etc.
I see. It probably wouldn't be worth it for me as I have all the panels I need for another array and even a third. But this one was set up and I'm testing and working with my new banks. I thought it would be easy if I could just split it to another, as it would do the job for now.
But if it means more complicated work and money, it would be easier to just go ahead and set up the other arrays.
Sure appreciate your input.

You may be able to use the "load" output on the mppt scc (if it has one) to drive a dc-dc battery charger. You'd be limited on watts (e.g. 27v x a 20a load output limit = 540w).
A possible problem is that if the scc gives the load output "priority", then the load will take amps away from the scc's charging of the main pack whenever light levels are low.
An advantage is that you may be able to set up times and voltage thresholds for the load output. E.g., use the scc load settings to activate the load (the 2nd charger) only after lunch, and after the main bank voltage reaches 27v.

If the strings aren't interacting with each other, you just have 2 separate systems, so yes, but not the way you describe in the last paragraph.

Alternately, you could use a split output PV combiner, like this. I'm using this, going to 2 CCs, but controlling one battery bank. The CCs connect to each other. This could easily go to separate CCs controlling separate banks.

20200620_113906.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If the strings aren't interacting with each other, you just have 2 separate systems, so yes, but not the way you describe in the last paragraph.

Alternately, you could use a split output PV combiner, like this. I'm using this, going to 2 CCs, but controlling one battery bank. The CCs connect to each other. This could easily go to separate CCs controlling separate banks.

View attachment 16376
I would like to do two scc in parallel from single PV array controlling same battery bank. I believe the scc won't be getting hot as much and redundancy will help incase of one scc goes bad.

See my diagram attached
Any ideas ?

Attachments

• IMG_20201207_112716_383.jpg
    IMG_20201207_112716_383.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 4

diy solar

diy solar
Back