diy solar

diy solar

1"x.125" Aluminum busbars ok for temporary 24v/160a configuration?

culty

As the post title suggests, I'd like to know if 1"x.125" aluminum I have will suffice for busbars in my temporary setup while building out a full mobile build (Class C RV). I want to get some basic power asap while I take my time getting the final build installed correctly. I expect to have the full system installed in the next month or so. I'm currently off-grid, and would like to reduce (or eliminate) my genny use.

The short-term plan is to wire up 8 of my 24v 20ah battery packs in parallel, wire up my Growatt 3000 (24v) along with three of the five 395 watt solar panels I'll be using, and run a 30a outlet for the RV house power.

I saw Will's YT video on busbars for parallel batteries rather than daisy-chaining them, and would like to do that in both the temporary and final builds. I've reviewed the posts discussing the advantages of copper vs. aluminum vs. brass vs. steel. Where this is the temporary plan while I finish the design and components of the final build, I'd like to know if my aluminum will be sufficient for the above outlined temporary system. Thanks!

"Sufficient" would kind of depend on your own personal philosophy - as well as the specific aluminum alloy you are using. Storm Power has online some really nice temperature rise charts for aluminum bus bars in 6101 alloy. They list 1 inch by .125 bus bar as having 123 microohms/foot resistance at 30°C, and 30°C rise at 151A.
That's 60°C final temperature at around room ambient temperature. 50°C is uncomfortable for most people to touch - but 60° is not too unreasonable for a bus bar for a short-term peak load.

"Sufficient" would kind of depend on your own personal philosophy - as well as the specific aluminum alloy you are using. Storm Power has online some really nice temperature rise charts for aluminum bus bars in 6101 alloy. They list 1 inch by .125 bus bar as having 123 microohms/foot resistance at 30°C, and 30°C rise at 151A.
That's 60°C final temperature at around room ambient temperature. 50°C is uncomfortable for most people to touch - but 60° is not too unreasonable for a bus bar for a short-term peak load.
Thanks @Militoy. It looks like the the bar stock I have is 6063-T5, which is between 2-5% less conductive. Based on the chart (linked below), I should be able to adequately pull ~151a on the aluminum bar stock I have. I doubt I'll be pulling the full 160a of load that my batteries can theoretically output/receive, so I am guessing it'll work for the next few weeks while I finish the final system. But I wanted to check myself here in case I need to purchase larger (wider or thicker) aluminum barstock for this initial setup.

Aluminum is an excellent conductor BUT it needs to be a little thicker and/or wider than a copper counterpart. The most important thing is to get the Oxide layer off right before you attach anything to it. Just buff with 180 to 320 Emory cloth and you know you’re through it when it gets tougher to do (grabbier). It’s best to use tinned lug instead of plain copper. In any case use No-Ox-ID A special anti oxidant between contact surfaces. The aluminum shapes in the hardware section available at the big box stores are fine.

Last edited:
Back