diy solar

diy solar

100 Ah LiFePO4 @ $1250 usd. 48v nominal

Guess I do see it. I meant to ask is money back on option? Somehow my spell check turned that to “Mandy back.“. This iPad is too smart for its own good.

I won’t bother to ask. I’m sure it would be a claim against UPS and not worth the aggravation for me.

And let’s hope that the person who invented autocorrect will forever rot in hello.

My batteries, rack cabinet and panels arrived Monday. everything was in good shape except for the bottom 2 panels. Looks like the load shifted a bit putting too much pressure on them. I inspected all the batteries one of them had a PC cable included so over the weekend I’ll download the software and assemble/test the bank. Started working on the footers this week and will get some framing done for the solar carport. This will be the home for panels that will keep the bank topped off. 72 cell panels are as big as I ever want to handle myself.

Attachments

• 61BE96D1-3139-416E-BD26-582AC489BF54.jpeg
    61BE96D1-3139-416E-BD26-582AC489BF54.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 73D4350D-1941-47C7-9C28-BEA542742AE2.jpeg
    73D4350D-1941-47C7-9C28-BEA542742AE2.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 64
@LGsolar please keep us posted on the communication capabilities of the battery.

I hadn’t planned on doing anything with that but I would like to learn.

My battery is installed and getting a daily workout.

And I agree on the large panels, all I can handle for sure. I only have 2 375w panels hooked up now.

Thanks guys! Please keep us updated on capacity testing, configuration and overall awesomeness! I’ll give them a call and see about the “buy direct” discount!

What is the consensus on prismatic cells (G4LL) vs A123 (Bigbattery) as far as long term reliability and cycle life? I'm trying to decide between these two "plug and play" packs vs full DIY

7000+ cycles on these batteries according to company if treated nicely. Not sure about the A123s. I ran 6 circuits of my house for 4 days and took the batteries down to 45% SOC. Going to install a standalone battery monitor to watch the pack as a whole. I did notice that the individual cells within each battery bank balanced to within 3mv but at the end of my test some banks were 45% SOC and others were 46 and 47%.
Jim

Let me start by saying that I have an affliction where I read almost every post on this forum. I then wander down various paths following up on what I find interesting. I recently came across this company on one of my rabbit hole trips and I cannot remember the thread where I found this company. I'm sure someone will link it here.

Note that this battery is definitely not DIY, it is hopefully a stupid simple plug and play. Before you go hating me please be assured that I have done the DIY route as detailed here:

And I would recommend anyone to go the DIY route at least once for the education you will get.

Now for the battery I have linked the spec sheet for from Signature Solar. I spoke with James from that company last week and was favorably impressed with his knowledge. They offer a complete solution from panels to inverters to batteries etc. The website is: https://www.signaturesolar.us/all-products

Note that I have no affiliation with them at all. I did suggest that James reach out to @Will Prowse to get a battery review done and he was definitely open to the idea. Unfortunately I do not have Will's cell phone number :cool: but I hope they can connect.

To get the price mentioned above I have to wait for one to ship from China. They do have some here in the US but charge an additional $250 for instant gratification. The shipping from Texas to Ohio should be about $80.

Since they are located in Texas maybe @ghostwriter66 can drive over on her lunch hour to take a look see? Texas isn't a very big state is it? They must be nearby :cool:

The only thing that makes me scratch my head is that the BMS is set to charge up to 3.9v per cell if I am reading the spec sheet correctly? If that is really true I will limit the charging voltage outside the BMS system.

Opinions are most welcome but I am taking a chance and ordered one. It is no coincidence that my Discover card gives me a 5% rebate on PayPal purchases, starting today.

In general I have been lazy about capacity testing my various LiFePO4 batteries but I will do so for this purchase once it arrives and report back.
I hope maybe James will send one to Will also and if you buy more then one battery they will come down on their price so maybe $1250 is what they will do I actually got 4 cheaper but like I said that was a preorder and I had to wait 2 months for them. But they were hnest and told me that when I reordered. They also automatically sell them for $1375 ea. for return customers. If I can help let me know.
Scott

7000+ cycles on these batteries according to company if treated nicely. Not sure about the A123s. I ran 6 circuits of my house for 4 days and took the batteries down to 45% SOC. Going to install a standalone battery monitor to watch the pack as a whole. I did notice that the individual cells within each battery bank balanced to within 3mv but at the end of my test some banks were 45% SOC and others were 46 and 47%.
Jim
Yes I've found the same thing however when charging them you will find that this BMS is so smart the amps for batteries at say 46% will be lower then one at 44% and buy the time they are 100% they are even again. Thats great. All 10 batteries usally drain about the same but not always. Never has been a problem though. Let me know if I can help in anyway I will certainly try.

Scott

What is the consensus on prismatic cells (G4LL) vs A123 (Bigbattery) as far as long term reliability and cycle life? I'm trying to decide between these two "plug and play" packs vs full DIY
I cannot give an accurate comparison since I have not purchased a Bigbattery one. But I though they were alot more expensive and I believe the Gyll batteries will last for 7000 cycles the way they have preformed for me. Please let me know what you find out.

Scott

As you can see the front of the battery looks like the video posted above. My battery has a very convenient breaker added.

Sorry about my picture double post.

I learned that I cannot lift this battery up to its rightful place so Amazon should have a block and tackle to me by Wednesday so I can get it in place.
Looks like it is cosmetic only and I would use it. But I bet if you call John or James at signaturesolar they will send you a new terminal cover if you bought it from them.

Scott

Looks like it is cosmetic only and I would use it. But I bet if you call John or James at signaturesolar they will send you a new terminal cover if you bought it from them.

Scott

I’ve been using it every day without issue so it’s definitely cosmetic.

I don’t use the other cover anyway so I never bothered them.

And the block and tackle allowed me and my wife (on the rope) to lift the battery to it’s spot 5 feet off the floor just before my shoulder surgery put me out of commission.

I’m going the full DIY route, can’t beat the price. So far though big battery has had problems in the past, but has good customer service and has worked to fix those problems. GYLL batteries haven’t had any negative reviews, but the customer service from the supplier has been heavily criticized.

You can buy the Ampere Time 24V 100Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery from Amazon for $1059 which includes taxes and free shipping. I've had mine for about 1 month now with no problems. It lives up to its specs and performs well.

Ampere Time 24V 100Ah lithium battery features physical dimensions of (L x w x H) 20.5 x 9.37 x 8.54 inches (~52.1 x 23.8 x 21.7 cm) and it weighs only 47.4 pounds (~21.5 kg). And something like a 10-year warranty.

The battery has handles so it is easy to pick up and move around.

I continue to be completely satisfied with this battery after using it 24/7/365 for more than a year now.

And this dude just did a favorable review ? :

Back