diy solar

diy solar

1000 AH van build DIY Batteries, looking at 24V, What alternator do I need?

travel bigtime. time for life changes. its all a writeoff with my work.

Uuhhhh...you know many if not most of us vandwellers often have to run a heater (or brave the cold) on summer nights?

Have you been to 10k+ feet in july? A heatwave might get you to low 80's in mid-afternoon.

Colorado:
The warm season lasts for 3.3 months, from June 3 to September 12, ... The hottest day of the year is July 7, with an average high of 69°F and low of 40°F.

Last edited:
1000 to 1400 watts of solar ideally. May hookup with TinyWatts solar, not sure he'll work with DIY batteries though. I love there new deck and can put AC under back storage. View attachment 10981

Your the first person on this forum that has mentioned them, I started a discussion thread on their product a while back but it didn't get any traction/interest.

What all do you know about them and the tech details of their product? I love the concept of a solar roof deck, but their is almost no technical data out there on the product they are offering and they haven't responded to the e-mail I sent a few weeks back.

I believe what you are looking at in the picture is 1000W of solar, I believe that is the most they have installed on a sprinter roof before (but my info might be outdated). Even at 100% efficiency (which you won't get anywhere close to with flat mount panels-- especially what appear to be flush mount adhesive backed flexible panels with no airflow underneath) you would be looking at maybe 5 kW a day max (if you achieved 100% efficiency and 5 hours of full sun).

How much are you expecting to drive, and how much current are you hoping for from the second alternator?

Your the first person on this forum that has mentioned them, I started a discussion thread on their product a while back but it didn't get any traction/interest.

What all do you know about them and the tech details of their product? I love the concept of a solar roof deck, but their is almost no technical data out there on the product they are offering and they haven't responded to the e-mail I sent a few weeks back.

I believe what you are looking at in the picture is 1000W of solar, I believe that is the most they have installed on a sprinter roof before (but my info might be outdated). Even at 100% efficiency (which you won't get anywhere close to with flat mount panels-- especially what appear to be flush mount adhesive backed flexible panels with no airflow underneath) you would be looking at maybe 5 kW a day max (if you achieved 100% efficiency and 5 hours of full sun).

How much are you expecting to drive, and how much current are you hoping for from the second alternator?
I'm still investigating what I need. the 2 24 volt alternators were only 140 and 150 amps lol that I have found. I'm also calling parts at MB to make sure I'm not screwing up my warranty as well. $2500 for a 150 amp 24 volt rofl. Seems the dual setup may be the way to go, but I'm afraid 150 amp, 24v system will not cut the mustard. Debating on a 12v setup as it'd make more sense that a 400 amp behemoth 12v alt would be better suited. This is interesting link..2nd alternator research

I asked Tiny watts what they were using, and he declined to tell me. Relion batteries and victron from pictures I've seen. 1000 watts was only thing I've seen. for a 300 or 400AH setup with 500 watt panels I was quoted 17000. I'm guessing they don't want you duplicating their build and price shopping. let me see if I can find the letter. TinyWatts letter Also Its obvious they are 1st rate and know their shit. Their newest iteration for rooftop solar is friggen beautiful and even artistic. They are going a long way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dzl
Uuhhhh...you know many if not most of us vandwellers often have to run a heater (or brave the cold) on summer nights?

Have you been to 10k+ feet in july? A heatwave might get you to low 80's in mid-afternoon.

Colorado:

funny you should say that, left messages with Troy Holland and Vanlife Tech, about his rec heated floors today.

debatIng on selling those 10 BMS for 12v and maybe going 48v. check out this friggen alternator. HUGE ALTERNATOR! or this link
i spoke with nations, and apparently they are close to putting out a 48v alternator, and voltage regulator for 48v. This is huge and really good timing as will just came out with a 48v BMS with low temp cut off!
If i do 48v i'll have to either drop 8 cells or increase order from 40 cells to 48 cells. So 2 or 3 48v batteries witch are 16 cells each.

woot!

Adam Nations adam@nationsstarteralternator.com via g001.emailsrvr.com
1:27 PM (3 hours ago)
to me

Hello Patrick, the 48 volt systems are new. But, we've been working towards solutions for year now. The tested unit I can ship out the soonest is rated 100A and has a new balmar external regulator.
It has a very specific type of mounting and I have all the parts in stock to assemble and test.
My biggest question is do you already have batteries......
and what type? I've seen various types including take out Tesla modules that require very specific voltages to stay safe.
If you haven't purchased batteries yet I can help you with the other components too.

Best Regards,
Adam Nations
Nations Starter & Alternator

Office- 573-334-2632 ext. 1001
adam@nationsstarteralternator.com
www.nationsstarteralternator.com
www.highamp.com
riFXCbLyEJC55fp8gac_7juuUC4nt-l_LUH7JM-7v8VS4WhflJKX01QjKHqLDSe4G8ozknyHMziSAS2-XZOwryQvZ71XynAJHy_hv4bi3ZHaRU18Nz-VII56kH2ZfDfwISLHKnX-nwamUMEjySjHr53UIgHHLgJG1bVtmts_zCpJr45zXkLLt_ZATL0s0PLpGavmlz6uHdU=s0-d-e1-ft

Just something to think about if you really want to do this. 25,600 watts is about 40 hp when you allow for generation losses, belt slippage etc. Do you really NEED to do this?

I just don't want power to be an issue. Powering and incinolet toilet, occasionally running a rooftop 13500 btu low profile dometic rv ac, 1800 watt cooktop, 750 watt coffee maker, ice machine, heated floors, computers etc. I'mm seriously wondering if this is enough power hehe. what do you think?

also going to 48v i'd need 8 more cells giving me 1200 AH 12v or 300 AH 48v. It also gives me pause that i dont know what the hell i'm doing and all my info is our fearless leader Will Prowse.
debating the following setup atm
48V 100amp alternator with Balmer voltage regulator guessing $2500
5000kw MPP Solar 48v all in one or 2 growatt 3kw guessing $1300
300AH at 48v (48 3v Fortune cells) which is 1200ah at 12v close to$6000 with the 8 more cells
7-16S 100A Lipo LiFePO4 Lithium Battery Protection Board Smart Bluetooth BMS Low temp cutoff $200

Last edited:
also going to 48v i'd need 8 more cells giving me 1200 AH 12v or 300 AH 48v. It also gives me pause that i dont know what the hell i'm doing and all my info is our fearless leader Will Prowse.
debating the following setup atm
48V 100amp alternator with Balmer voltage regulator guessing $2500
5000kw MPP Solar 48v all in one or 2 growatt 3kw guessing $1300
300AH at 48v (48 3v Fortune cells) which is 1200ah at 12v close to$6000 with the 8 more cells
7-16S 100A Lipo LiFePO4 Lithium Battery Protection Board Smart Bluetooth BMS Low temp cutoff $200
I don’t think you have 5000KW of mpp solar... typo maybe? You must mean 5KW... right? No way you have THAT big a van...

I think I can do a beginner build if I went with these all in ones but i'm not sure I want one now. So I'll need someone who knows what they are doing from this point. Least I got a bit of understanding on these systems. does anyone know descent installer in Portland Oregon?

I think I can do a beginner build if I went with these all in ones but i'm not sure I want one now. So I'll need someone who knows what they are doing from this point. Least I got a bit of understanding on these systems. does anyone know descent installer in Portland Oregon?
If you want a first class -well thought out turnkey system; Contact AM Solar. it won't be inexpensive or simple.
https://amsolar.com/
Not in Portland but farther south at Springfield.

I live at 10200, it's never above 80, never... been here 20 years, there is still 2+ feet of snow in my trees on the north facing hills...

diy solar

diy solar
Back