diy solar

diy solar

1000W Inverter to supply shore power

Firering

I recently added a 12v 1000w pure sine inverter (supplied via alternator) to supply 110v to my MPP Solar LV2424 shore power input to charge my lithium batteries while driving.

Once I've reached 100% SOC my 1000w inverter begins to smoke. The first occurrence was driving on a busy highway and was able turn off the inverter and unplug my shore power plug. Originally I thought my dc supply wire was smoking but I tested my system again and the 1000w inverter begins to smoke once my batteries reach 100%. In both cases the inverter had cooled off and fans stops and was in idle mode.

What could cause this?

It could be the inverter is overloaded if the unit is set to the default charge current of 60 amps.
A 1000 watt inverter is taking over 90 amps from the alternator, it could be the alternator is saturated at its maximum output and thus the voltage is reduced . This in turn increases the losses in the inverter.

I have my MPP unit set at a maximum charge rate of 30a so that Im not putting the 1000w inverter or my alternator into over load. My alternator has 180a output so I'm way under. The smoking only begins when I reach 100% soc. I wonder if the MPP unit is causing this. I have my input fused with a 15a breaker. My 1000w inverter is fused at the battery with 125a AMG bussman fuse.

Thanks for asking about the settings and alternator.

The manufacturer is claiming that it's either a bad transformer or coil and will be replacing the inverter. I'll update this post once I receive a new one.

While I wait my brain keeps turning. My next question is specific to my MPP Solar unit. When the unit is getting power via my solar panels that charge the batteries while it's "off", I'm reading 30v ac at the shore power input. Could this residual power cause my 1000w inverter to have its issues once it goes into idle mode?

If so, should I connect a dummy load to keep the 1000w inverter push a small amount of current out?

While I wait my brain keeps turning
reading 30v ac at the shore power input
That’s 30% chance a no-current inductive voltage, 70% chance it’s related to the SCC running at ‘float’ and is switching to do so? I think?
Could this residual power cause my 1000w inverter to have its issues once it goes into idle mode?
I don’t believe that
should I connect a dummy load to keep the 1000w inverter push a small amount of current out
no

The inverter ain’t gonna have any ‘residual’ it just makes the current up to that which the sum of loads presents up to its design parameters

Li Time sent me a replacement inverter. I want to do the same test but I will turn it off when my soc reaches 95%+/-. Deep down I really want to test it to 100%.

I put a video together and would appreciate input. I'm still puzzled why I have no issues with traditional shore power charging when it reaches 100% vs using the inverter to act like a shore power and the inverter beginning to smoke at the 100% soc.

Back