diy solar

diy solar

100w solar panel on roof rack charging Ecoflow River 2 Max

cwiggs

I'm planning to mount a 100w solar panel on my 2003 Chevy suburban z71, and hookup the panel to an Ecoflow river 2 max inside my vehicle. Couple questions:
  • The solar panel has an MC4 connection and the ecoflow has an XT60 so I need an adapter. I'd like to make my own cable but unsure of a few things:
    • Can I solder MC4 connections or do I need a crimper?
    • Is 10 gauge cable big enough?
    • XT60 doesn't have a gasket so I probably shouldn't replace the MC4 connector outside with an XT60. Can I cut off the MC4 connector and just solder on a cable that goes inside before I put an XT60 connector on it?
  • How should I mount the solar panel? I was thinking of just buying flat aluminum bars from the hardware store, drill some holes to attach them to the solar panel and then sandwich the roof rack crossbars in between but is there a better method?
Thanks!

Ecoflow does ship an MC4 to their XT60i with many of their units. The extra pin on the XT60i is to determine if the unit is charging from solar or automotive. This may not be a factor in the River 2 Max. You can order them here in the USA: https://us.ecoflow.com/collections/accessories/products/solar-charging-cable

If you make your own you prefer. 10 gauge would be overkill for your River 2 Max unless you were running longer distances. You could splice on wire to come inside if you prefer with the XT60 on the end.

Thanks for the response.

I misspoke before, I have a Ecoflow River 2 Pro, not the Max. Looks like the River 2 Pro does not ship with an MC4 to XT60i cable. Also the one you linked to is out of stock so that isn't an option right now unfortunately.

I assume I won't need an XT60i since this cable will just be for solar, the River 2 Pro did come with a 12v car connection to XT60i so I can use that for the car charging.

Sounds like if I want to make my own cable I'll just need an MC4 connection, cable (less than 10 gauge will work), and the XT60 connectors. Then I solder everything together.

10 gauge is plenty. You could likely get by with 14 gauge if the distance isn't too far. Soldering connections in a mobile environment isn't ideal. Most of us are crimping without any issues.

Hope it's ok to piggyback on this thread. I got a river 2 recently, and ordered an xt60 to mc4 cable to eventually connect a 115W renogy bifacial panel.

However, the connector is different from the included car charger cable. Bundled car charger cable on left, xt60 purchased from Amazon on right.

Anyone know the correct connector I should order for base river 2?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230707_182711.jpg
    20230707_182711.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 5
Ok think I figured it out, river 2s use xt60i?
at least some of the ecoflow products use the xt60i pin to tell the device to differentiate between a 12v input vs more, such as a solar input (up to the rated max for the port). if there's no pin or signal on the pin it assumes 12v

always read the instructions tho

EDIT
yeah i just said what someone else above said.

Back