diy solar

diy solar

ecoflow river max

davy

I have an ecoflow river max. the input is 25V, 12A max. now I have 4 solar panels in series.i know the voltage is to high for this powerstation.Is there a way to connect it to these panels with some kind of step down converter or something like that?To be clear, I use these panels for my DIY solar system

I know I can connect them in parallel. But it is not the intention to constantly connect the panels in parallel or series. Is there no other option?

If I want to connect the panels to my Ecoflow I have to connect them in parallel. If I want to connect them to my DIY solar system I have to connect them in series.What I mean by this is that I don't want to connect the panels in parallel or series every other time

What are the specs for the panels? Are the panels permanently mounted?

If the Ecoflow had a higher voltage input limit you could go with 2s2p for both the Ecoflow and the DIY system. But the Ecoflow is your limiting factor. Trying to keep the panels in series all the time and using a voltage stepdown converter makes the system more complicated.

I have an ecoflow river max. the input is 25V, 12A max. now I have 4 solar panels in series.i know the voltage is to high for this powerstation.Is there a way to connect it to these panels with some kind of step down converter or something like that?To be clear, I use these panels for my DIY solar system
If you are using the ecoflow in the same place as your DIY solar system then using a dc-dc converter to charge the ecoflow from the DIY system would work, or even an AC-DC charger. You'll lose some watts to conversion but it's probably the simplest solution.

What are the specs for the panels? Are the panels permanently mounted?

If the Ecoflow had a higher voltage input limit you could go with 2s2p for both the Ecoflow and the DIY system. But the Ecoflow is your limiting factor. Trying to keep the panels in series all the time and using a voltage stepdown converter makes the system more complicated.
the panels have in serie 90V so that is to high for the ecoflow.i can charge the ecoflow from the diy...so that is the easy way yes.but I thought there was an easy way with a step down converter. But as you say, that makes it much more difficult

It can be done with a multi-ganged switch and some very careful thinking and planing.
Amazom Multi-ganged switch

You would have to bring all eight PV wires (the positive and negative wires for each panel) into an out of the weather area where you can mount the switch in an enclosure. With proper wiring of the switch you can have all four panels in parallel or in series with a single pair of wires that go to either the Ecoflow or the DIY solar system.
Better yet it is possible to have two sets of wires exiting ther enclosure, one for the Ecoflow and the other for the DIY solar system. With the switch in position 1 the panels are in parallel and connect the output to the Ecoflow and in position 2 they are in series and connect to the DIY solar system.
Just make sure you carefully draw out the schematic and triple check voltages on the output before connecting to the Ecoflow or DIY solar system. Label all wires, the four PV input pairs and the two output pairs. Not easy and may prove to be expensive considering the additional wiring from the PV panels.

You could initially build the switch but instead of connecting to the PV panels use some batteries (i.e double a or D cells) as inputs to simulate eachr each PV panel. This way you can wire the switch and test each position; do you get the sum of the four batteries voltage when the switch is in series and do you get the voltage for a single battery when in parallel.

Back