diy solar

diy solar

Can I use regular electrical cables instead of solar cables for my portable 100W panel?

JohnnyBravo

Angler
Hello guys,
I have DOKIO suitcase /folding 100W (2x50W) panel that I want to use to charge my Ecoflow Delta 1300.
I would like to move the panel around my house while keeping the Ecoflow inside therefore I am looking for longer cables.
Now the questions:
1. why should I use solar cables? how long regular electrical cable would last for my application?
2. can I extend solar cables just by using WAGO connector, XT60, or even twisting them together with or without soldering? Why should I use MC4?
3. assuming I'll go in the future for 400W panels array (2x200W or 4x100W), as long the cables connecting panels will stay behind the panels (so no sun exposure), do I really need MC4 connection?
4. the wire size for such 400W array would require to be the same between the panels as the one connecting to the PWM/MPPT?

thank you

MC4 is convenient not required. Solar cable in my opinion means uv and weather resistant wire. Otherwise is just multi strand wire which is usually copper or copper wire that is coated to prevent corrosion.

Hello guys,
I have DOKIO suitcase /folding 100W (2x50W) panel that I want to use to charge my Ecoflow Delta 1300.
I would like to move the panel around my house while keeping the Ecoflow inside therefore I am looking for longer cables.
Now the questions:
1. why should I use solar cables? how long regular electrical cable would last for my application?
2. can I extend solar cables just by using WAGO connector, XT60, or even twisting them together with or without soldering? Why should I use MC4?
3. assuming I'll go in the future for 400W panels array (2x200W or 4x100W), as long the cables connecting panels will stay behind the panels (so no sun exposure), do I really need MC4 connection?
4. the wire size for such 400W array would require to be the same between the panels as the one connecting to the PWM/MPPT?

thank you
I use landscaping wire all the time.
For a single panel you could even use an extension cord.
What kind of wire were you considering?

I use landscaping wire all the time.
For a single panel you could even use an extension cord.
What kind of wire were you considering?
I have left some 14AWG and 16AWG single and multi strand insulated copper wire from my electrical installation of my house, also I have some ribbed tube that is used in such application.

The key thing on wire is the size of the wire vs amps drawn from it.
wire-selection-chart.png
wire-selection-chart.png

As long as you keep the wire size within the amp range your going to draw across it your good to go there. I would get a few mc4 connectors and a crimper to make cables from the wire you have if your going to use that. The mc4's are not "required" but it makes disconnecting and reconnecting a dream when fooling with this stuff.

Back in college when I repaired stereo equipment. We had a salesman who encouraged people to cut a short extension cable in half and wire that between speaker and amp. When people wanted sound on their patio, just had to add an additional extension cord for the extra distance. The plugs are polarized so that works fine. Except some people forgot and plugged either their amp or speaker into a wall outlet. That brought me business! A cheap easy way to get that panel some distance to sun when you are camping.

Solar cable resist UV and are also ratted for 1000V, the standard cable using in a house wiring H07V-U in my country is rated for 450V so you cannot use it in a string of 6 or 8 panels, for your small array has long you don't go higher than 230V you are OK.
MC4 are the norm, in winter probably your panels will get water so on their side use MC4.

The key thing on wire is the size of the wire vs amps drawn from it.
wire-selection-chart.png
View attachment 163646

As long as you keep the wire size within the amp range your going to draw across it your good to go there. I would get a few mc4 connectors and a crimper to make cables from the wire you have if your going to use that. The mc4's are not "required" but it makes disconnecting and reconnecting a dream when fooling with this stuff.

so, about the connector and its ease of use, why not a WAGO where no crimping is needed? :)

Back