diy solar

diy solar

10kw powmr? ‎US-POW-SunSmart 10K-YF

Looks good. Only thing that makes me wonder is the weight stated on the package - 14kg ??? Must be a mistake, because my PowMr version is 27kg. So, if yours is really only 14kg, then something must be missing.
Ya that's weird that they got away with that lol, certainly saved them money in shipping I'm sure but, it's definitely way heavier than 14kg, at a minimum at least double and I would say even more lol, this beast is a heavy bitch lol.

Thanks for the write up. 200w self consumption seems high, I’m interested in what vendor says. When cutting back and forth from util to battery and the other direction , no issues with restarting electronics, loads just keep running with no disruption?
Yes, self consumption is pretty high at 200W. Thats 4.8kwh per day, so almost a 100Ah battery load. I didn't really have any critical loads on, like a desktop computer, so hard to tell, if the switching would have caused problems. The only sensitive thing was the digital display on the gas stove. Whenever we caused a power outage, during installation and testing, that display would blink and we had to reset the time. But it never blinked, when the automatic switching happened, so I guess the 10ms switching time seems to be accurate and not noticeable.

Yes, self consumption is pretty high at 200W. Thats 4.8kwh per day, so almost a 100Ah battery load. I didn't really have any critical loads on, like a desktop computer, so hard to tell, if the switching would have caused problems. The only sensitive thing was the digital display on the gas stove. Whenever we caused a power outage, during installation and testing, that display would blink and we had to reset the time. But it never blinked, when the automatic switching happened, so I guess the 10ms switching time seems to be accurate and not noticeable.
@42OhmsPA is the SRNE version self consumption also 200w? For some reason I thought it was 100w

Ya that's weird that they got away with that lol, certainly saved them money in shipping I'm sure but, it's definitely way heavier than 14kg, at a minimum at least double and I would say even more lol, this beast is a heavy bitch lol.
I wonder if the SRNE model has the same faulty data output as my PowMr. Easy to to see on the display. When the battery is fully charged it should show 0 amps flowing into the battery, but it constantly shows 3 to 4 amps while solar power is available, which is nothing less than the self consumption of the machine. This is all counted as charge to the battery.

Also when the battery is fully charged, the solar power should drop down to the load power, but it actually drops below the load power, which of course is nonsense (considering there is way more solar power available than the current load).

Attachments

• Real Data as sent.jpg
    Real Data as sent.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Zwy
Here is a discharge data example I sent to the vendor. It shows a big part of the problem.

Attachments

• Discharge data example.pdf
    93.1 KB · Views: 12
In this picture you can also see the faulty data. It's from the SmartEss mobile app. When the battery is full at around 11:30 solar power (green) and battery charging power (gray) drop down instantly, but battery charging should drop to 0 and solar power should level up exactly with the load power (blue). Either adding the wrong charging data to the solar data OR taking away self consumption from both charging and load data would do the trick. Does anyone with the same model type have a version, where these values are correct?

Attachments

• Dessmonitor Graph.jpg
    Dessmonitor Graph.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 6
In this picture you can also see the faulty data. It's from the SmartEss mobile app. When the battery is full at around 11:30 solar power (green) and battery charging power (gray) drop down instantly, but battery charging should drop to 0 and solar power should level up exactly with the load power (blue). Either adding the wrong charging data to the solar data OR taking away self consumption from both charging and load data would do the trick. Does anyone with the same model type have a version, where these values are correct?
Do you have a shunt to independently do the calculations?

Definitely not 200w. Clamped twice ~100w, almost matched shunt reading.
I have an additional Victron shunt connected and a friend checked it 2 days ago and I compared it with the data received from the inverter. It was way off. Of course the self consumption differs largely, depending on state of operation. Probably goes from below 100 up to 400 or more. I can't do measurements atm, because I'm not there and don't have access to the Victron shunt by wifi. Do you have solar panels connected and did you measure while it was ex. charging the battery with like 100 amps? That's when it really literally hits the fans.

I would measure by turning off PV with no loads connected which is most likely what @42OhmsPA did.
I agree. You want to measure idle consumption at night (meaning PV input off) with all loads off.

And ideally you want to measure that DC consumption both with grid connected (in which case you also want to measure AC grid consumption) and with grid disconnected (off-grid).

I have an additional Victron shunt connected and a friend checked it 2 days ago and I compared it with the data received from the inverter. It was way off. Of course the self consumption differs largely, depending on state of operation. Probably goes from below 100 up to 400 or more. I can't do measurements atm, because I'm not there and don't have access to the Victron shunt by wifi. Do you have solar panels connected and did you measure while it was ex. charging the battery with like 100 amps? That's when it really literally hits the fans.

I agree. You want to measure idle consumption at night (meaning PV input off) with all loads off.

And ideally you want to measure that DC consumption both with grid connected (in which case you also want to measure AC grid consumption) and with grid disconnected (off-grid).
Why would you want to measure like that? That's like measuring fuel consumption of a car with a running engine in park mode. I want to know what the inverter itself burns during a normal day with solar power and loads. And the data I collected so far results in 200W on average, assuming I can somewhat trust the data the inverter delivers, which of course I am not sure of. I can agree that idle consumption is only 100W, or maybe even less, but as soon as loads are on and solar power is kicking in it skyrockets.

Why would you want to measure like that? That's like measuring fuel consumption of a car with a running engine in park mode. I want to know what the inverter itself burns during a normal day with solar power and loads. And the data I collected so far results in 200W on average, assuming I can somewhat trust the data the inverter delivers, which of course I am not sure of. I can agree that idle consumption is only 100W, or maybe even less, but as soon as loads are on and solar power is kicking in it skyrockets.
My data, on the SRNE model, disagrees.

What I also miss is a parameter for the size of the battery. The SOC% display is completely useless, when using a battery bank without communication. You should be able to enter the battery size (Ah) and synchronize to 100%, when the battery is fully charged. If the internal battery shunt was then configured correctly (which it is not as I have stated earlier), you would have an accurate SOC.

My data, on the SRNE model, disagrees.
What does the battery current display show, while you have plenty of solar power and the battery is fully charged? Zero amps or 4 amps?

What does the battery current display show, while you have plenty of solar power and the battery is fully charged? Zero amps or 4 amps?
I never looked at it, I'll have to check. My shunt, that I trust shows 0 +/- 0.5A It will change to a few amps, briefly, if a load kicks on; I assume this happens because the mppt is adjusting to cover the load.

So you are treating the inefficiency of your inverter when generating power as well as the inefficiency of your SCC unit in charging your battery as ‘idle’ consumption???

That’s not what ‘idle’ is.

What is the stated efficiency of the inverter and the stated efficiency of the battery charger from solar / DC?

Idle consumption is how much your inverter is consuming when it is not doing anything at all. When it is doing anything, ‘lost’ power or power consumed to do whatever it is doing gets chalked up to inefficiency (100% - %efficiency).

Last edited:
I never looked at it, I'll have to check. My shunt, that I trust shows 0 +/- 0.5A It will change to a few amps, briefly, if a load kicks on; I assume this happens because the mppt is adjusting to cover the load.
Fully agree. My Victron shunt also shows 0 with occasional ups and downs of a couple hundred mA, when the battery is full. But the internal shunt shows +3 to +4 amps constantly while the battery is fully charged (and plenty of solar is available). This amperage is counted into the total charge value. So data from the inverter might show like total charge for the day = 15kwh, while the Victron shunt (which I trust) might show 12 kwh. Thats because the internal shunt counts X amps too much while charging the battery and X amps too little while discharging the battery. So again, the discharge value of the internal shunt will show for ex. 10kwh, while the real discharge was 12kwh. So, taking this as example, after a week the inverter data will tell you you've charged 7x15=105kwh and discharged 7x10=70kwh, when in fact you have charged and discharged 7x12=84kwh.

Back