diy solar

diy solar

Dumb bonding/ground questions.

A Boss

My system is on a vehicle. 48v with 10kw battery bank 2kwh solar array main power source. Currently wiring in 4 20 amp 110v circuits using 2 different inverters that are not compatible with each other. Both inverters are 5kw continuous pure sine wave. 1 inverter is a hybrid. I am wanting to use the 2 legs of a service panel with 2 circuits for each inverter.

Then I come to wiring neutrals and grounds with all my questions:

Can the neutrals be shared by the two inverters safely? I assume not so planning on having a separate neutral bus bar for one inverter.

Can the grounds be shared?

Do the grounds need to be bonded to neutral at the service panel?

End of the day I think I should just run three additional bus bars for 2 grounds and additional neutral, but I am a plumber not an Electrician so trying to get the right answer to these questions instead.

Additional information potentially relevant. Powmr solar hybrid 5000w(in the future may add another for 240v and increased output.)
XWJNE 5000W INVERTER.

I would like the option to charge using shore power or generator thru my powmr.

am wanting to use the 2 legs of a service panel with 2 circuits for each inverter
Powmr solar hybrid 5000w(in the future may add another for 240v and increased output.)
I’d drop the other inverter on craigslist or return to vendor and just get the gangable second AIO. I wouldn’t wire the panel split phase without split phase capability myself. Sounds too smokey.

Last edited:
Out of sync inverters should never share any load carrying conductors...
This can smoke the inverters, don't do it unless they have a way to be linked in sync.

I’d drop the other inverter on craigslist or return to vendor and just get the gangable second AIO. I wouldn’t wire the panel split phase without split phase capability myself. Sounds too smokey.
Want to keep the other inverter for a backup and not quite ready to buy the second AIO yet but hopefully soon. So just going to use the extra inverter seperate from the panel for now and for when I am needing extra energy. Thanks though for saying the obvious I was trying to do a little too much with it.

Since the neutrals need to be bonded to ground to operate safely, even with seperate neutral bars, you are linking them to ground...

Just don't try this.
So do I need to bond neutral and ground in panel or is it bonded already in the hybrid solar inverter?

Yup, depends...
Some have a relay that switches bond depending on grid connection or transfer switch position...

Back