diy solar

diy solar

11KW EVSE

jasonhc73

Cat herder, and dog toy tosser.
I just got an Emporia EVSE, 11 kW output.

Connected to two MPP-Solar LV6548's and a big battery.
At 11 kW, each battery was getting about ~60 amps. 251 amp peaked total discharge.

Set to charge one hour after SunRise.

Screenshot_20210911-003054_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210911-003039.jpg Screenshot_20210911-005242.jpg

1631338908707.png

Last edited:
How is the Empor[a EV charger working for you I have the same set up as you 2 6548 mppt all in one. I bought a 2021 Nissan s plus and ordered the Emporia EV charger today

48 Amp Smart Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger/with Solar Charging and Peak Demand Management | Smart Home Energy Monitor with 16 Circuit Level Sensors​

It works fine. It has a decent app with "OK" automation. I like how I can adjust the amps on the fly and turn the thing off from my phone.

I received my charger today and installed. My Nissan leaf has 2 charging ports the J port only supports 110 at 1.4 kw and 220 at 6.6 kw and a chadmo port for 50 kw so unless there is an adapter I can only charge at 6,6 kw or less. I was hoping to charge at 11 kw that the charger can produce. That is the only thing I don't like about this charger. I can't use it to it's full potential.

I received my charger today and installed. My Nissan leaf has 2 charging ports the J port only supports 110 at 1.4 kw and 220 at 6.6 kw and a chadmo port for 50 kw so unless there is an adapter I can only charge at 6,6 kw or less. I was hoping to charge at 11 kw that the charger can produce. That is the only thing I don't like about this charger. I can't use it to it's full potential.
You can use the charger at full potential - You just need a car which can accept that much current. My new VW ID.4 has a built in 11Kw charger and it CCS charges at up to 125Kw

Don

may i ask for any more info on how this experience is?

you can program charge amps from EVSE side?
EVSE gives a tone signal to the vehicle for maximum amps to avoid overloading the EVSE supply.
Some EVSE have an adjustable tone depending on the circuit connection.
Some EVSE can change the signal while charging if multiple EVSE share a circuit.

This is kind of a learning process.

An EVSE (level 1 and 2) is nothing but a connection to the AC.

The CHARGER is in the car. The charger in the car is what limits the amps it is capable.

Tesla used to put two 11 kW chargers as an option. They quit offering the option simply because 22 kW for home use is not really necessary. And it is nowhere available in public. It also requires a 120 amp dedicated circuit

11 kW needs a 60 amp dedicated AC circuit for a 48 amp continuous load.

So far Tesla and the Bolt(2022} are the only cars that offer a 11 kW AC onboard charger. Even 11 kW really is not needed. 6 hours from empty to full. Nobody let's the charge go to empty. Plugged in overnight for 12 hours means a 5.5 kW charger can handle the charge overnight, empty to full.

Now look at reality. 30 miles a day, or about 7 kWh of usage. A level 1 can recharge that in 8 hours.

Anyways... As for the Emporia, I mainly have it for the app that I have complete manual and semi automatic control over.

This is kind of a learning process.

An EVSE (level 1 and 2) is nothing but a connection to the AC.

The CHARGER is in the car. The charger in the car is what limits the amps it is capable.

Tesla used to put two 11 kW chargers as an option. They quit offering the option simply because 22 kW for home use is not really necessary. And it is nowhere available in public. It also requires a 120 amp dedicated circuit

11 kW needs a 60 amp dedicated AC circuit for a 48 amp continuous load.

So far Tesla and the Bolt(2022} are the only cars that offer a 11 kW AC onboard charger. Even 11 kW really is not needed. 6 hours from empty to full. Nobody let's the charge go to empty. Plugged in overnight for 12 hours means a 5.5 kW charger can handle the charge overnight, empty to full.

Now look at reality. 30 miles a day, or about 7 kWh of usage. A level 1 can recharge that in 8 hours.

Anyways... As for the Emporia, I mainly have it for the app that I have complete manual and semi automatic control over.
Yes I like that also. I can turn on/off the charger from inside my house without going outside. The app tells a lot of info. When I call Emporia with any ?'s they are very helpful. Being new with solar and now Ev's I'm learning what I can.

The majority of the EV's in Europe do support 11kW.

I have an older car (VW GTE Hybrid) which only has a small battery and only uses single-phase, but newer cars like the ID3 and similar all have 11kW. My collegue has a slightly newer EV (E-golf), that uses 2-phase/ 7.2kW). Other collegues have an ID3 and that does 11kW

Some of the older models do only 1-phase 32A (Eg the first generation of the Kia eNiro) but more recent models all support 3-phase 11kW charging.

They all are type2 / CSS, Chademo and type1 (J1772) are, in Europe, becoming obsolete.

The majority of the high power chargers near the highway have 175-350kW nowadays with plenty of CSS, but only a few Chademo (or none) at only 50kW or so. (at least in NL, in other countries high-speed chargers aren't deployed widely yet, unlike eg NL and Norway)

If you're grid connected, a Zappi charger (made by Myenergy in UK), and using Type2, might be a nice one. It allows you to use also excess PV power (instead of backfeeding to the grid)

Back