diy solar

diy solar

AOLithium 51.2 V 100 Ah batteries >5 kW?

JetForMe

In the AOLithium manual for their big 51.2v 100ah server rack battery, they say to limit discharge power to 5 kW (6kW for up to one hour), when using 2 - 4 batteries. I assume this is due to their passthrough connection not supporting more than 100 A, but the 15 kW inverter I plan to use has a maximum discharge current of 275 A.

Has anyone successfully used multiple AOLithium batteries at more than 100 A discharge current, perhaps with an external bus bar instead of the daisy-chain connection configuration they support? Still limiting discharge to 100 A or less per battery, but more than 100 A total?

Seems like a horrible battery if this is true. Most likely a typo, and meant to be > 5kW when in parallel.

1692315125768.png

I emailed their support about this. The language barrier makes the response a little less authoritative than I'd like, but this is what I wrote:

I see in the manual the maximum discharge current of 2-4 batteries is 5 kW (6 kW for up to 1 hour). I assume this limitation is due to the internal feed-through connection for paralleling batteries.

I'm planning to use this with a 15 kW inverter, and later possibly adding a second 15 kW inverter (which must share the same battery bank). Each has a maximum charge/discharge capability of 275 A.

Is it possible to connect multiple AOLithium rack batteries to a parallel bus bar to achieve a higher total discharge capacity (each battery would still be limited to 100 A)?

And this was their reply:

Larger currents can be connected by using bus mode and the power can be amplified,
The maximum charge and discharge capacity is 275A,
and multiple battery packs are required to be grouped in the form of a bus bar to allow excessive current.
For the over-current capacity of a single battery pack, refer to the product specification.

So they're saying if you connect them to a bus bar, then you can use more current than just 1 batteries capability. It's just like every other server rack battery then.

Just run them in parallel to a common bus bar, then to your inverter.

In the AOLithium manual for their big 51.2v 100ah server rack battery, they say to limit discharge power to 5 kW (6kW for up to one hour), when using 2 - 4 batteries. I assume this is due to their passthrough connection not supporting more than 100 A, but the 15 kW inverter I plan to use has a maximum discharge current of 275 A.

Has anyone successfully used multiple AOLithium batteries at more than 100 A discharge current, perhaps with an external bus bar instead of the daisy-chain connection configuration they support? Still limiting discharge to 100 A or less per battery, but more than 100 A total?
Well your limit is the wires between the batteries ( the orange cable) they are only 3 gauge wire so the can only 100amps. So that is why a bus bar would be a great idea. If you had bigger cables like 0/4 when you could do the 400amps for 4 barriers I have 4 of these batteries and I will be installing them into a bus bar rack system .(in the future)

Well your limit is the wires between the batteries ( the orange cable) they are only 3 gauge wire so the can only 100amps. So that is why a bus bar would be a great idea. If you had bigger cables like 0/4 when you could do the 400amps for 4 barriers I have 4 of these batteries and I will be installing them into a bus bar rack system .(in the future)
I think I have found the connectors... appear to be made by Futronics.. I think the OE is the 6.0 single core that maxes out at 25mm2 wire.. The refuse to sell me more "discharge cables" so I may see If I can make my own to implement the bus-bar system. They even offer 8.0 and larger if someone wants to try upgrading.

Anyone have a diagram of their system? I'm going through the manual, and trying to figure out what to do in some cases
  • What does the ground cable get attached to on the batteries (I will be getting a 2-unit setup)? The interfaces identification table does indicate where that would go
  • I'm trying to figure out the solar charger, and inverter, connections (I'll have a separate charger and inverter). Do I need to get that connector Detritalgeo identified and create my own harnesses? I see the 2-unit setup seems to come with extra discharge cables, but the image is too small to see, and I don't think support understood my question.
  • What fuses are people using throughout your systems?
  • What bus bars are folk wiring to (not between the batteries, but for wiring all the devices up to)? I'm using this Renogy diagram as a way to make sure I have everything accounted for: Renogy fuse diagram

Last edited:
Back