diy solar

diy solar

12s 48v Chevy Volt power wall converted to 14s Need help and suggestions please

hotrod

Hi everyone I have got a complete 2013 Chevy Volt hybrid battery that consist of 8 48v that has tested around 45 ah each, my problem is they are not gonna work very well with my 12kw Growatt offgrid inverter. The specs on the modules are 36v (3.0 per cell) low voltage and 49.8v (4.15 per cell) on the high voltage. The nominal voltage is 44.4v (3.7v per cell)
My Inverter specs are Bulk charging adjustable from 48-58 volts
Float charging adjustable from 48-58 volts
Low DC cutoff adjustable from 40-48 volts
From battery to utility adj. from 44-51.2 volts
From utility back to Battery adj. from 48-58 volts

The specs on the inverter just doesn't agree with specs on the battery with the 12s configuration.
I have purchased 2 additional 48v volt battery modules which have tested very close to the other modules I already had, I am wanting to cut the bus bar between every 2 cells then drill the bus bar to add a copper bus bar 1/8"x1/2" held on with two bolts on each connection I have watched a few videos of people soldering wire to the volt factory bus bars but I was thinking that bolting a copper bus bar would be the best route to take. I want to add 2 of the cut separated cells with #4 or #6 wire to the factory 12s modules which would give me a 14s module. this would move my nominal voltage from 44.4v 12s to 51.8v Which would agree with my inverter so much better.

Or could I cut the bus bars to rearrange the extra 12s modules I have as a 2s 6p module this would make a 7.4 nominal voltage at around 270 ah battery if I'm adding this correctly. then I could add this between the 8 48v modules and my inverter to bring the nominal voltage up to the 51.8v

Any help or suggestions you guys or gals can offer will be greatly appreciated I'm pretty sure this will work but just trying to figure out which way will work the best without causing problems.

Attachments

• screenshot_LI.jpg
    screenshot_LI.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 9
I need some of you guys advice on this before I start cutting up two good 48v volt modules. I think I was wrong on my figures of 270 ah at the 2s 6p configuration that should be for just 1 of the modules If use both of the spare modules like this wouldn't it be more like 540 AH at 7.4 v nominal.

What did you finally do with adding a cell to your modules? I have a similar issue with my Audi 48v modules that I want to make a 13s battery. I will have to take apart one of my 8 modules to get the cells I need. to make 7 /13s modules. My JK BMS will work with 13s configurations. I also have a BMS on each of the 7 modules I have.

Back