diy solar

diy solar

12v dc vs 120v ac appliances

Power consumption and depth of cold are both good for a compressor. If you can deal with 1cf of space, sounds like a plan!

4.5A@12vdc/75W@120vac. 2.1cf.

My home grown still does better on wattage, is larger by 1.4cf and costs $400 less.
I tried to take a look at your "fridge setup in my For Camping thread", but could not find it.

I tried to take a look at your "fridge setup in my For Camping thread", but could not find it.

While much larger than the OP is looking for, my RV came with an Everchill, 10 cu ft, DC powered, compressor style refer ($1050 retail).

These are not portable - so here again, not likely applicable for the OP but thought I'd mention it for others. Here's a link to the manual for mine: https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/?man=/Appliances/Refrigerator/Everchill

As some point, I'll do some testing to see what it really draws for DC wattage.

Im willing to be corrected but $1549 for a freezer! You can buy a 14 cuft freezer form home depot for $450 Bucks. That leaves $1100.00 left over.

The home depot fridge uses 800 watts per day. You can buy a 1kw inverter for $150.00 Now we have 950 Left lets buy 2 200 watt panels for $100 each now we have 750 left for 550 I bought lifepo4 batteries 100AH 12volts . Now you have enough PV, inverter ,and battery plus $200 to fill fridge/freezer with steaks and Beer please invite me for BBQ. This all assumes you dont have an inverter or panels or enough storage If it were mi I would just buy 1100 in batteries.

Im willing to be corrected but $1549 for a freezer! You can buy a 14 cuft freezer form home depot for $450 Bucks. That leaves $1100.00 left over.

The home depot fridge uses 800 watts per day. You can buy a 1kw inverter for $150.00 Now we have 950 Left lets buy 2 200 watt panels for $100 each now we have 750 left for 550 I bought lifepo4 batteries 100AH 12volts . Now you have enough PV, inverter ,and battery plus $200 to fill fridge/freezer with steaks and Beer please invite me for BBQ. This all assumes you dont have an inverter or panels or enough storage If it were mi I would just buy 1100 in batteries.
I think that a 14 cubic foot chest freezer operating at 115 VAC will consume about 500 too 600 watts, (or about 5 amps), each hour not each day.

According to spec sheet its 296 kwh per year. So im assuming thats plugged in under normal usage I divided by 365 to get 810 watts per day
You are mentally challenging me Craig, (pun intended), but this conversation we are having is encouraging me to do calculations and the work necessary to determine how much solar power, (with no solar gain day generator supplement), in preparation of one fine day having a modest cold spot in my cabin to keep the two essential food groups cold year round; beer and ketchup!

You are mentally challenging me Craig, (pun intended), but this conversation we are having is encouraging me to do calculations and the work necessary to determine how much solar power, (with no solar gain day generator supplement), in preparation of one fine day having a modest cold spot in my cabin to keep the two essential food groups cold year round; beer and ketchup!
Mine works way better than expected those beers are darn good Ice cold!

The reason I'm personally looking into DC only things is that there will be less wear and tear on components and less components in the system, and some things would be a lot easier to DIY repair in the long run. Plus, it seems a lot of modern appliances are getting spendy these days for not a lot of high quality insulation, some are noisy, and some are very unreliable, and service contracts don't always work. Plus, how are you going to get a service person to your mobile location if your Samsung fridge or freezer fails? At least with other common "mobile" brands, a lot of RV service centers could service it or you could swap it out... Same reason I'm researching LFP batteries instead of lead acid cells.. LOL Up front cost isn't that much of a concern if I get 10-15+ years of service life, and be able to use these items to their full capacity, while having weight savings for more important things like water storage..

"People tried to talk me into a propane unit. 3 reasons why I didn't: doesn't get cold enough (evaporating technology), can't be used while traveling, a good wind can blow out the pilot light. 3-way, or even 2-way camper fridges are just way too expensive."

I too am looking for a fridge to replace my 3 way Norcold propane unit that is 30 years old. It still works but 30 years is pushing it. My experience with the propane is that it provides plenty of cold (keeps ice cream better than household fridge) and have never had the flame blow out while driving but you are right about them being overpriced.

"While much larger than the OP is looking for, my RV came with an Everchill, 10 cu ft, DC powered, compressor style refer ($1050 retail). "

According to e-trailer it draw 3 amps per hour which is still 72amps per day and if you have 2 or 3 days without sun its time to get out the generator.
I got rid of my generator because of the noise and went to solar but also reduced my electrical energy needs by going to all LED's and putting in a propane infrared heater without a fan. At least with propane you know how much propane you have on board (I have a chassis mounted tank) or with bottles you can get them refilled. With solar you never really know how long you might be without sun(solar) so it removes some of the uncertainty. On the other hand you can put in 400-500 ah worth of batteries to get you thu.

Back