diy solar

diy solar

Designing a high-efficient off-grid home (Part II - FMPS)

dcjohn

Part I

As now FMPS (Class 4) has been included in NEC it seems that HV-DC becomes more realistic scenario for homes. I'm wondering if anyone had so far any experience with solar systems and FMPS and if you think it could be done to increase efficiency and safety. My purpose is to build an HV-DC (only if not mainly) home with USB-C and/or PoE plugs instead of common AC plugs. Some of my thoughts in more details:-
  1. High Voltage DC generally (360v+?) for efficiency and less cables/copper/cost/space (for long distances e.g. PV array to Battery, Battery to Rooms/Loads)
  2. FMPS (Class 4) for safety and to get rid of all those breakers / panels (AC protections)
  3. FMPS Receivers in each room to supply from high to low voltage DC (12v/24v/48v)
  4. USB-C / POE Plugs (POE lights drivers/dimming etc... LumenCache looks promising)
  5. AC inverters only for high power device and not possible to use them with DC (we should be able to find high power DC devices but still not an easy task, there are still devices that actually need AC? Even motors work better/more efficient with DC now)
  6. Sodium batteries (220V+?) for long life, less money and safety (Natron Energy's BluePack already claims 50-100K cycles)
Just wondering, why using 48v battery solar systems and not higher voltage, I guess just for safety, so if the safety issue can be resolved with FMPS maybe it would worth going to much higher voltage?

(P.S. The site is not working with Greek DNS servers for some reason, I though it was down for long time, had to use google's DNS)

Last edited:
why using 48v battery solar systems and not higher voltage
Also because it’s a common standard and I have a memory bell going off with something about shipping higher voltages being an issue?

Back