diy solar

diy solar

12V lighting

I didn't read the whole post and may be late to the party. But 24v be better? There are many 12 - 24v led bulbs out there. And fuses, switches, ect are easy to find. Smaller wires also. Just a thought.
Ed
normally i look for 12V DC lights, primarily because that voltage is so easy to find power adaptors for.

the LED strips i linked are indeed 24V DC, which is technically off topic, hehe.

indeed, the benefit of 24V as opposed to 12V is mostly a relaxation of wire size requirement. smaller cables can be used for a given amount of light.

however, it should have no effect on the quality of light at all, assuming adequate power supply and wiring.

without any prior familiarity with that brand, that type seems fairly promising.

especially the CRI 85+ claim.

CRI 100 is like an A+ for being "just like incandescent"

CRI 85 is like B+/A

CRI 75 is like a C. lol

looks promising.

I have cataracts and all the other aged related eye problems.
For me placement is probably as important as lumens.
I have the lights tweaked in the kitchen to put the light on the place where I use a sharp knife.
My work area is the same.
I think its called task lighting.
The idea is to light up the thing I need to see without getting too much halo effect.
Contrast is important too.
So black for the things I don't need to see and a contrasting color for the things I do need to see.
look for both spot lights and Non soft lenses on general lighting.. use color greater than 3000 Kelvin..

That’s irrelevant on 12V solar ?
recently emailed superbrightleds support about powering their 24V DC LED strips directly from an 8S LiFePO4 battery, and included the voltage range.

response was that the higher end of voltage range may reduce the lifetime of the LEDs, so i am still internally debating about whether to implement a voltage regulator before the LED strip.

or even implement a special 7S LiFePO4 battery just for lighting.

either way, powering direct from DC battery will be much more efficient than DC->AC->DC

IKEA has a good selection of attractive and affordable 12V and 24V lights.

For 12V you will have to go instore and look for the wall warts. The language-free manuals make it tough to determine. Cutoff the wall wart and wire to the battery. The pictures below is the discontinued DIODER set in my office..

For 24V search for lights requiring the SILVERGLANS or TRÅDFRI driver.

Attachments

• Dioder install.jpg
    Dioder install.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Dioder LED.jpg
    Dioder LED.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
But 24v be better? There are many 12 - 24v led bulbs out there. And fuses, switches, ect are easy to find. Smaller wires also. Just a thought.
One thought on purchasing the 12-24volt bulbs is you can still power them with 12volts and if later you need to upgrade to 24volts your lights will still work without changing anything.

I faced a similar dilemma when I started my system with a 12 volt car battery and installed several 12v lights and outlets, and ran my internet/computer equipment off it. Then considered upgrading to a 24 volt all in one system for solar charging and 120volt output. I could have gotten a Dc-DC converter, but it uses some energy as well. Ultimately I got a Lipo4 battery and a small inverter and kept that system at 12v.

recently emailed superbrightleds support about powering their 24V DC LED strips directly from an 8S LiFePO4 battery, and included the voltage range
One thought on purchasing the 12-24volt bulbs is you can still power them with 12volts and if
later you need to upgrade to 24volts your lights will still work without changing anything.

I faced a similar dilemma
The thing is a 12V LED is half of a 24V LED. Just series them.

The thing is a 12V LED is half of a 24V LED. Just series them.
Not always so easy: In three of my rooms, I have one 5 meter long light strip running off the 12 volts. To series them I would have to run two rooms simultaneously.

I love this channel and that is a dream episode. A neurologist. 27:45 is an intriguing segment to overview if you don’t have a decently long commute to watch(listen).
thank you!!! i love learning about the visual system.

used to study the eye... implemented some computer software to track the pupil and eye movement using infrared camera to control a computer cursor by looking at a computer screen. thanks again for sharing this, will definitely listen. cheers

Back