diy solar

diy solar

12V Overlanding Advice

I have switched all of my ports and anything else will also be switched. View attachment 9921
Every time I look at this, I'm trying to figure out what box that is. It kinda looks like a Pelican Cube, but I don't think they open from the wheel/handle side. Could you post a pic from further back of the whole thing. I like seeing other setups to give me different ideas...

Your fridge should have settings to turn off at a certain voltage. Mine has 3 different presets Low/Medium/High that correspond to different voltages. I could go look up mine, but unless you have the same fridge/freezer, the actual volts wouldn't matter. I know one of them is 11.5V.

I don't think your load will be going thru the charger so it can't turn off the load..
Have a look at the specs for your fridge and set it to the lowest setting for a LFP as you can occasionally discharge to about 10v ( 2,5v per cell ) . I would not discharge a gel battery to less than 11.5v - I think my fridge in the Prado is set to that. Before I added solar to the roof we could camp for about 2- 3 days before the fridge would cut out necessitating a drive out to recharge the battery.

Last edited:
I've got a Waeco CFX 40, which should cut out at 11.8V so I think that would be 30% SoC.
I just want to make sure I'm not going to pay a lot for the setup and then accidentally abuse it.
What size is you panel Pierre?

Have a look at the specs for your fridge and set it to the lowest setting for a LFP as you can occasionally discharge to about 10v ( 2,5v per cell ) . I would not discharge a gel battery to less than 11.5v - I think my fridge in the Prado is set to that. Before I added solar to the roof we could camp for about 2- 3 days before the fridge would cut out necessitating a drive out to recharge the battery.
I have a set of the 280AH lFP cells from XUBA built into a 12V battery. I'm going to hook the fridge up to it and see how much power it uses over a week or so. I think I'll start with them at 90% and set it to cut off at 11.5V. I want to know how many days of little sun I can go till I have to do something. Since we're on House Arrest out here, I'll have plenty of time to keep an eye on it. Probably hook up my USB socket at the same time.

I have a set of the 280AH lFP cells from XUBA built into a 12V battery. I'm going to hook the fridge up to it and see how much power it uses over a week or so. I think I'll start with them at 90% and set it to cut off at 11.5V. I want to know how many days of little sun I can go till I have to do something. Since we're on House Arrest out here, I'll have plenty of time to keep an eye on it. Probably hook up my USB socket at the same time.
Your bank is huge ! Should yield great results.

I've got a Waeco CFX 40, which should cut out at 11.8V so I think that would be 30% SoC.
I just want to make sure I'm not going to pay a lot for the setup and then accidentally abuse it.
What size is you panel Pierre?
I have 2 x 120w panels on the roof. Your plan makes sense HiL.

I have 2 x 120w panels on the roof. Your plan makes sense HiL.
I have room for one big 60 cell panel on my roof, if I don't hang over the sides/ends. Also have a max volt limit of 45V. So I can go with a cheaper panel in the 320W range or go for something like the LG 370W for 3 times the money. Locally I can get a 300-320W for $120 as an older left over panel, or spend $400-$500 for something brand new latest, that would max out my production within my limitations. A local place has their scratch and dent + orphan panels real cheap. I keep going back and forth on which way to go.

The truck will remain the vehicle, I use, but I might get a different camper shell, too. That could change what I could mount and how I mount them. If I get a off road trailer in the 5' x 10' range, I have the stuff I need to connect the truck system to the trailer. I have a set of tow truck type jumper cables with 25' of 4AWG and plugs and sockets for both ends. That would let me connect the truck "house" battery and it's solar, to the trailer. If I do that, I'll build another 280AH battery for the trailer, too. I just have to decide, do I want the trailer, or a 5M Bell canvas tent with a wood stove in it. One is easy to move often, the other I'm going to stay a week or two in each spot.

The OverKill Campers 5' X 10' with a mechanical slide is real temping. You could pull in and sleep with it all closed up, but gain extra room by sliding it out.

Every time I look at this, I'm trying to figure out what box that is. It kinda looks like a Pelican Cube, but I don't think they open from the wheel/handle side. Could you post a pic from further back of the whole thing. I like seeing other setups to give me different ideas...
You are right it is a Pelican case. Its the 1440 case in yellow. Have photos here

I like to hear an update on this since I have the same cell setup but maybe a more efficient small camping fridge. I think mine drawls around 8 - 18 wh this is depending on setting if im freezing vs cooling

I like to hear an update on this since I have the same cell setup but maybe a more efficient small camping fridge. I think mine drawls around 8 - 18 wh this is depending on setting if im freezing vs cooling
In the thread below starting at page 25 post 486, I'm posting about my ongoing test.. I'm drawing 4.5A or less when the compressor kicks on. Maybe 10 minutes every half hour. 5A with my phone plugged into a QC 3.0 12V USB outlet, too. I started charging my phone off the battery yesterday. I figure that's what I'm going to do off grid. I have it set large side fridge small side freezer for this test. Next time I'm going both fridge.

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/x...ah-lifepo4-cells-purchase-review.3850/page-25

Last edited:
Ideally I'd like to do minimal to the vehicle and be able to transfer this to another in a few years.
So is the easiest way battery (housed in some sort of battery box with outputs), solar blanket with Voltage regulator and a BCDC Charger like this? https://www.redarc.com.au/dual-input-25a-in-vehicle-dc-battery-charger

Will this setup ensure my battery LiFePO4 battery doesn't discharge below a 80% SoC?
Since you live in australia, there is a company that sells a solar battery pack called kickass, it seems like thats something yoy could be interested in

Since you live in australia, there is a company that sells a solar battery pack called kickass, it seems like thats something yoy could be interested in
I don't know... Go back and look at post #5 and post #14 in this thread.... :rolleyes:

diy solar

diy solar
Back