diy solar

diy solar

13 kWh Lishen van build

Thank you Blutow for that information, very helpful and makes sense to me now. Victron has so many product I'm still figuring them all out.

I notice you have 2 of the 30amp DC-DC B2B chargers. I'm guessing that is so you can charge up to 60 amps off your alternator at once? Do you have a special high output alternator you're putting in the van?

I think it's really cool you went with the 12V system and are making it work with the 3000 Watt Victron. Those cables seem incredibly beefy. I already bought two 24V Overkill BMS's, otherwise I might reconsider about keeping 12V after seeing your build.

For my system the 3000 Watt Victron is right on the edge of "what's enough" for an inverter. Their 5000 watt Quatro (24V) is over twice the price for some reason. So it makes more sense to buy 2 of the 3000 watt ones. For your loads, do you feel 3000 watts is on the high side, or just enough?
I have a 1400ah 12V Victron system in my Class B RV.

I thought long and hard about 48V and 24V but ultimately listened to what all the Victron dealers were recommending. "You run a 12V system in your van, you have a powerful 12V charging source in your alternator, 12V is easy to work on and get parts for anywhere."

Selling those 24V BMS's is a small price to pay to use that alternator for the entire time you own it. Also i use a LIBM-225 sold by battle born in place of the Victron DC to DC charges. So far everything has worked great over 2 years and 30k miles.
Travado Florida.jpg

I have a 1400ah 12V Victron system in my Class B RV.

I thought long and hard about 48V and 24V but ultimately listened to what all the Victron dealers were recommending. "You run a 12V system in your van, you have a powerful 12V charging source in your alternator, 12V is easy to work on and get parts for anywhere."

Selling those 24V BMS's is a small price to pay to use that alternator for the entire time you own it. Also i use a LIBM-225 sold by battle born in place of the Victron DC to DC charges. So far everything has worked great over 2 years and 30k miles.
View attachment 82306
I use to have the Orion as my only dc to dc charger, now I have a 280amp dual altenator, and the 30amps from the orion lol (I just kept it so if needed I can toggle it to charge the van's battery)... its night and day... still have 400watt solar, which is good in the summer months. I only have 14.4kwh.

I have the same bike rack, except right now I took all the bike stuff off and mounted my trule ski rack.. pretty cool system

Attachments

• 20211223_164434.jpg
    20211223_164434.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back