diy solar

diy solar

15 kWh battery charging

Sebsol

Good day friends.
I am sketching on a setup I will start to build this year and need some help.
Most solar panels are 12V with various W, but I am looking to buy a 15.4 kWh battery that is a 51.2V system.
So the problem seems to be if these two products go hand in hand which I have not found any information about.
Yes I am new in this area that is why it might sound strange to you.

But I will build my system slow but will have the larger battery from start.
As soon as I have the solar system setup I will add a wind turbine that complements the charging since it is very dark here half of the year and solar panels are of no use during winter. And my goal is to eventally disconnect from the grid and be self sufficient.

Yes I know the battery will not be enough but it is a start as I said.
I need to start somewhere.

So do I need to put 5 of these 12V solar panels in serial to ba able to charge my battery or what?
Can someone please tell me how this works. I have read alot but still have not found much info about this. All I read is 12 or 24V and maybe 48V systems, but none of them explain if I have 48V battery how many solar panels do I need to charge these. And that is a bit strange in my point of view.

Have a wonderful day. Looking forward for your replies to this.
Thank you very much.

You need to look at pv panel / charge controller( not advisable to direct connect pv panels without)/ battery spec sheets, ensure panel open circuit voltage ( panels can be series / parallel or combo of both)doesn't go above charge controler allowable voltage / current, plus panels need to produce a voltage higher than battery voltage to start charging- my controller states min+5v of battery voltage, charge controller will then alter voltage / current to suit battery (as the name suggests)- subject to you setting correctly the charge controller.
Don't forget fuse(correct type for whatever battery you are using)/ battery disconnect isolator / cable or bus bar sizing / panel dc isolator / inverter ect ect.
Plenty of info out there - just google it. Remember do it wrong and it can go horribly wrong.

diy solar

diy solar
Back