diy solar

diy solar

4000 kWh usage per month

aragonx

Okay, I'm still new to this whole solar thing. But I don't think I can fully run my house on solar. Ever...

I've built an array, got some storage and have some real numbers now to use. Right now with 6 400 Watt panels I'm pulling in about 10 KWH/day (been lots of sunny days). That is using 1/2 of 1 side of my garage roof. My main roof can hold about 20 panels per side of the same size. These would all be east facing. I don't have numbers for the west side yet but I'm guessing it'll be about the same? So if I use all available space, and have perfect weather, always, I can pull in about 2200 KWH/month. But my electric bill is 4000 KWH/month (even higher during really cold or really hot months)!

Now, this house is oldish, 2 story 4 bedroom. Colonial build in 1975. So there is probably quite a bit of heat/cooling loss. Windows all leak, etc. And everything is electric. Electric stove, cloths dryer, heat pump and hot water heater. But I believe the average usage per house in my state is 1000 KWH/month. Does that sound right?

I guess my question is: Is my consumption really that far outside the norm? Or am I doing something wrong?

best bet is to start with an Emporia Vue monitor system. You need to figure out where exactly all that power is going. they are pretty easy to install, does not require an electrician.

I'd say it is on the high side. People knew about insulation in the 70's, but that did not mean good energy reducing practices were used in your house.
Most time you see more savings from fixing the energy hogs than making more power.
Get an inexpensive thermal camera (or one that mounts to your cell phone) and look/fix hot/cold spots and gaps around doors/windows/attic.
Make sure the windows are latched to pull them together.
See if you can easily add attic insulation.
Take 1 appliance per year and replace it. Electric stove/clothes dryer being last as they are not much more efficient. HW heat pump maybe a good idea, but a heat pump HVAC can save big bucks.

For comparison purposes, here in Phoenix, our 2300 sq ft home from the mid 80s can consume as much as 120kWh/day in the worst months of summer where a 5 ton A/C is running most of the day. FWIW, we've blown in about another 10" of insulation in the attic.

That extrapolates to about 3600kWh/month, so I would say your usage is very, very high and $ would be better spent improving efficiency rather than trying to brute force it with solar.

Lastly, average U.S. household consumption across all home types is around 30kWh/day or about 900kWh/month.

Going to solar is typically a wake up call for how much energy we use.
Folks that decide to go off grid completely, always underestimate.

Your useage seems high to me but its all relative. Then buying all your electricity at 1 time (whole home solar) is sticker shock.

best bet is to start with an Emporia Vue monitor system. You need to figure out where exactly all that power is going. they are pretty easy to install, does not require an electrician.
Oh, I have never seen one of these. I'm going to get one. Thanks!

I'd say it is on the high side. People knew about insulation in the 70's, but that did not mean good energy reducing practices were used in your house.
Most time you see more savings from fixing the energy hogs than making more power.
Get an inexpensive thermal camera (or one that mounts to your cell phone) and look/fix hot/cold spots and gaps around doors/windows/attic.
Make sure the windows are latched to pull them together.
See if you can easily add attic insulation.
Take 1 appliance per year and replace it. Electric stove/clothes dryer being last as they are not much more efficient. HW heat pump maybe a good idea, but a heat pump HVAC can save big bucks.
I believe the house settled a bit and no one bothered to fix the windows. None of them fully shut but there isn't a draft. So I bet there is quite a bit of savings there. And a thermal camera is a great idea! Between that and the energy monitor, I'll find the culprit!

I believe the house settled a bit and no one bothered to fix the windows. None of them fully shut but there isn't a draft. So I bet there is quite a bit of savings there. And a thermal camera is a great idea! Between that and the energy monitor, I'll find the culprit!
I like my little Flir that plugs into my USB C phone port. Find a neighbor and rent it to them for 50$. Do that for 6 neighbors and they just purchased it for you!

update: shoot, they be 200$ now : https://www.amazon.com/FLIR-One-The...&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584001427598854&th=1

2000 square foot home in Texas. I get this kind of usage in summer

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240322_174931_Enlighten.jpg
    Screenshot_20240322_174931_Enlighten.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 16
Okay, I'm still new to this whole solar thing. But I don't think I can fully run my house on solar. Ever...

I've built an array, got some storage and have some real numbers now to use. Right now with 6 400 Watt panels I'm pulling in about 10 KWH/day (been lots of sunny days). That is using 1/2 of 1 side of my garage roof. My main roof can hold about 20 panels per side of the same size. These would all be east facing. I don't have numbers for the west side yet but I'm guessing it'll be about the same? So if I use all available space, and have perfect weather, always, I can pull in about 2200 KWH/month. But my electric bill is 4000 KWH/month (even higher during really cold or really hot months)!

Now, this house is oldish, 2 story 4 bedroom. Colonial build in 1975. So there is probably quite a bit of heat/cooling loss. Windows all leak, etc. And everything is electric. Electric stove, cloths dryer, heat pump and hot water heater. But I believe the average usage per house in my state is 1000 KWH/month. Does that sound right?

2 biggest users there are clothes dryer and heat pump. Heat pump will be the highest. Start with the heat pump, any idea on SEER? Clothes dryer could possibly be changed to hybrid heat pump style- I've been contemplating one for some time. The use an electric element and a heat pump, ventless so no makeup air. The water heater can be changed out to a hybrid heat pump unit, this gains you a COP of 3 to 4 over the resistive heat elements but if demand is high you can use the hybrid heat pump resistive element.

The heat pump and water heater qualify for 30% tax credit. Take advantage of it, when the government is handing out money, take it. It reduces the term of ROI.

Insulation, windows, etc. all qualify for tax credit of 30%. Stagger the improvements so you use up close to limit each year. That means replacing worst windows first or insulating one year, then the next some windows. Again, the government is handing out money, take it.

Start developing a plan to be energy efficient, budget for it and stick to it. In the process, start researching solar so once you get efficiency gains done you are ready to add solar. This all needs to be done by 2033 so get started.
I guess my question is: Is my consumption really that far outside the norm? Or am I doing something wrong?

4000 KWH a month is outrageous compared to my house.... House is half the size but it only uses 1300 KWH at the worst month.

It’s not completely insane, but it is very high. I thought I used a lot of power (avg 60 KWHR/day) but that’s twice that.

Yeah, do the survey first, get your insulation and power use under control, and then you’ll know what kind of solar power system you need.

You can’t control what you can’t measure.

Back